Chapter 17

In the midst of her brother's penetrating gaze, Taeyeon felt a mix of defensiveness and anxiety. "Oppa, I have my reasons," she muttered, slumping onto the couch with her hands covering her face.

"What reasons? Tell me, then. What could possibly justify this?" Her brother's tone was a blend of frustration and genuine concern.

"Oppa..." Taeyeon's voice wavered, a lump forming in her throat as she struggled to find the right words.

He knelt in front of her, his grip on her shoulders firm yet not unkind. "You know I care about you deeply, right? How can you put yourself through all this?" His eyes held a mixture of anger and worry, making her heart ache.

"Oppa, I don't even know where to start," Taeyeon admitted, her eyes brimming with tears as she dropped her hands from her face.

"Are you two actually dating?" Her brother's inquiry was surprisingly calm, though the gravity of the situation still hung heavy in the air. Taeyeon shook her head slightly, knowing he could sense her response without words.

He released his grip on her shoulders and faced her directly. "Then why was he here, in the middle of the night?"

"Remember when my manager told you about the incident at the hospital?" Taeyeon asked, her gaze meeting her brother's searching eyes.

Her explanation flowed as she recounted the events of that night—the elevator mishap, the hospital visit, and the tension in the lobby. "Oppa, he saved me. I was on the brink of panic... It felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. If he hadn't been there, something terrible might've happened."

Her brother's brows furrowed as he absorbed her words, a mix of understanding and concern crossing his face. "Sure, but doesn't a 'thank you' suffice? You're putting your reputation on the line. Do you realize what you're doing?"

Taeyeon's eyes welled up with a mixture of emotions. "A simple 'thank you' isn't enough when someone literally saves your life, oppa. Please, try to understand..."

"But—"

"I know what I'm doing. You don't need to worry. Just promise me you won't tell Mom or Hayeon about this, alright?" Her plea held a touch of desperation, her thoughts turning to her younger sister.

Her brother's expression softened as he patted her head gently, his voice gentle as he spoke. "Sort things out, express your gratitude one last time, and then go back to acting like you two don't know each other. Can you do that?"

Taeyeon nodded, her tears finally falling as she allowed herself to lean on her brother's guidance. "Yes, oppa."

"Alright, let's get some sleep. It's late."

Lying in bed, her back to her brother, Taeyeon's mind churned with a whirlwind of thoughts. The last tear slid down her cheek as she drifted into sleep, seeking a momentary respite in dreams.

.

'I made your breakfast. I left early, thank you for letting me stay. Take care and please stay out of trouble. Love you'

The note left on the bedside table by Jiwoong oppa brought a smile to Taeyeon's lips. Reading the words of care and affection, she couldn't help but feel grateful for having such a wonderful brother. With a smile, she left her room and headed straight to the kitchen to see what her brother had prepared for breakfast.

However, her anticipation turned into surprise as she found a cup of ramyeon on the table.

Seriously? Leaving a note just for a ramyeon?

She was about to dismiss it when she spotted a note under the cup. As she read the note, a chuckle escaped her lips, appreciating her brother's sense of humor.