Chapter 15

Byun Baekhyun watched the black van shrink into the distance, sighing as he slumped into his car seat. His thoughts were a mess, like a jumbled puzzle he couldn't quite solve.

"Taeyeon..." he mumbled, as if the wind would carry his words to her. "I wish you'd just tell me what's really going on inside that head of yours. Do I let you go or give it one more shot? It's like I'm standing at a crossroads with no map."

His fingers fiddled aimlessly with his phone, his mood far from "ready to drive" status. Driving now would be like heading into a storm without an umbrella – dangerous and likely to end in a mess.

Time slipped away, nearly ten minutes vanishing into thin air. He found himself making a call without even realizing it, and before he knew it, she was on the line.

"Hey, where are you now?" he asked, uncertainty tinging his tone.

"I just got home," her voice floated through the speaker, sweet but with a hint of hoarseness.

His eyes closed, cherishing the sound like a comforting melody. He wished he could hear her like this all the time.

"Um, okay. I just wanted to make sure you made it back in one piece," he replied, trying to sound casual but failing miserably.

"Yeah, makes sense. I actually thought this was about your jacket. I forgot to give it back."

His jacket...

"No worries, you can keep it," he offered.

"Well, it has your name on it, so I can't exactly strut around in it. I'll return it, though."

"You're sure?"

"Definitely. I'll get Taemin to play the delivery guy."

His heart sank a bit. Why would she bother herself with this? Why even entertain the idea of returning it herself?

"Can't you just give it to me in person?" he blurted out without really thinking.

Oops, that slipped out.

"Huh?"

"Never mind, seriously. I, uh, was just rambling."

"Do you want me to hand it over, then?"

"Nah, it's cool. Leave it with Taemin."

Why'd he even suggest she do this for him? He mentally kicked himself.

"Think of it as my way of saying thanks. I'll let you know when it's good to go – gotta wash it first."

"No need to wash it. I could really use it now, though. The weather's being a bit of a downer."

Truthfully, he just wanted an excuse to see her again.

"Right away?"

"If that's cool with you..."

"My car keys are in the van, and my manager's already made his grand exit. So, no wheels for me."

Cue the dramatic sigh.

"But you could swing by. Just rock your disguise, and make sure you're incognito with the license plate."

A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth.

"You sure?"

"Hmm... see you, drive safely."

"Sure thing. See you," he chirped, excitement bubbling over as he ended the call.

He buckled up and revved the engine, the thrill of the chase coursing through his veins. This was his shot, and he wasn't about to let it slip away.

.