Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

Nathan's expression hardens. "Now shit's about to happen. Again." He glances at Raiden. "Look after the people. Don't let them go anywhere. We can't be certain that there aren't any other threats out there."

Raiden nods.

"Another life has ended, and a sinner has been born," Sunshine says, her gentle voice tinged with pity. She casts a sidelong glance over her shoulder at Ian, her face is almost expressionless. "I'm sorry, Your Highness, but there is no hope for your cousin."

Ian stiffens at Sunshine's remark, his face drained of color. He looks at Raia.

"What does she mean?" Ian asks Raia.

"Watch," Raia says, her voice deep and resonant, and Ian follows her line of sight, which leads to her possessed cousin.

A dark and malicious aura surrounds Katherine and swirls like a whirlwind. A strong gust of wind fills the palace hall, causing their clothes and hair to flutter wildly. They cover their eyes with their hands and wait for the wind to die down. The dark aura that surrounded Katherine dissipates, as does the wind, revealing a completely different being.

Katherine raises her head. Her once dull eyes come to life, and her tight-lipped mouth curves upward, revealing a wide diabolic smile. She looks down at her palms and her shoulders shake as she bursts out in a fit of laughter that echoes throughout the palace hall.

"What . . ." Ian starts, but Raia cuts him off.

"That's no longer your cousin," Raia says as she re-grips her flaming longsword and gets into a stance. "That's a pest that must be destroyed."

Katherine leaps down and lands with a soft thump on the carpeted floor. She raises her hand and aims a finger gun at them. Her index finger emits a faint light.

Another summon-type, Raia thinks with furrowed eyebrows. What a hassle.

The light brightens as it doubles in size before Katherine lets it go.

Nathan spins his spear before hurling it forward.

The spear tip collides with the massive circular energy, causing a violent wind to ripple out. Like a swarm of fireflies, the light disintegrates into harmless particles. But then Katherine uses her finger guns to fire a never-ending barrage of energy bullets as she jumps from wall to wall.

The Aragons swing their weapons to defend themselves from the deadly projectiles.

Sunshine wields her gleaming longbow like a blade, swinging it sideways.

Some energy-made bullets pass through their defenses and penetrate their flesh. Raia and her comrades yelp in pain, but they continue to swing their weapons around in fear of being hit again.

Amidst the cacophony of hissing gunfire, Raia hears a sharp cry from behind her that belongs to Ian. Raia grits her teeth and bears the pain in her left arm, where two energy bullets have buried themselves.

I can't waste any more energy and let this fight drag on any longer. Besides, I have another job after this.

"Kara -" Raia starts.

"I know! Cover me!" Raiden interjects.

Raia leaps in front of Raiden, brandishing her sword to protect both him and herself from the energy bullets. Behind her, Raiden thrusts his broadsword into the floor, and a thick wall of vines forms behind them, acting as a barrier to protect the people, including Ian.

"They're safe for now, so let's not waste time and put an end to this fight!" Raiden announces.

"Nathan, keep the demon occupied!" Raia orders.