Chapter Eight

Raiden shifts his gaze away from the window and toward Raia, who is sitting across from him in the train compartment, reading a newspaper

Raiden shifts his gaze away from the window and toward Raia, who is sitting across from him in the train compartment, reading a newspaper. They haven't said anything since getting on the train, and they've been on it for half an hour.

He had tried to strike up a conversation earlier, but the grim-faced girl never took her gaze away from the newspaper she had picked up in town on their way to the station. Raiden decided not to try again after that failed attempt, fearful of receiving another silence or even a scowl.

Raiden leans his elbow on the window. Perhaps she's still upset about her Branding?

He knew when he saw her face after mentioning her Branding. Of course, she must have gone through the same ordeal as Nathan and the other Aragons he met. Maybe what she saw had something to do with her distant personality.

Raiden, on the other hand, is still puzzled as to why he did not have the same experience as the majority of Aragons. When he was Branded a year ago, the Sacred Water only showed him blackness. He wasn't able to see anything. His branding was . . . void. He's even wondering if he went inside the same water or not. Perhaps he's only different because he has no memory of his past.

He has no recollection of his life prior to becoming a disciple.

Regardless, the Sacred Water should have revealed something to him.

"Hey there."

Raiden's musings are interrupted by an animated voice. He turns his head, then blinks. A young man with ginger hair stands in front of their compartment, an amiable smile on his lips.

"Can I sit with you? Sitting with the elderly bores me," says the man, picking his ear with his pinky.

Raiden frowns, scrutinizing his appearance. The first thing he notices about him is his silver eyes. His pupils are thin, vertical slits instead of round ones.

He has eyes like a cat!

Raiden has never seen anyone with such eyes before. For some reason, he finds himself becoming suspicious of the stranger in front of him.

The man wears a green bandanna around his head and is dressed in a sloppy dark shirt with an emerald green capelet draped around his shoulders. His black baggy pants are tucked into his knee-high boots.

What an outfit. Maybe he's just a traveler, Raiden wonders. He casts a quick glance at Raia as if to solicit her permission, but her face is still buried in the newspaper.

What's the appeal of reading the newspaper? He gives her a funny look.

"Alright, silence means yes!" exclaims the stranger as he sits down next to Raiden. He extends his hand. "I'm Loki."

Raiden's brow furrows in surprise at the man's cordial demeanor.

"I'm Raiden."

Loki scrunches up his brows as they shake hands, contemplating Raiden's feature.