Chapter Thirty

Raiden, Nathan, and Sunshine let out an 'oof' sound when the carriage gives a sudden jolt

Raiden, Nathan, and Sunshine let out an 'oof' sound when the carriage gives a sudden jolt. Groaning, Sunshine straightens in her seat and places Raia's head back on her shoulder with the utmost care. She smiles and gives a gentle pat on the head of the sleeping girl.

Raiden looks at Raia with worried eyes.

"Don't worry, she'll be fine," Sunshine says as she strokes Raia's hair.

Raia lost her consciousness not long ago due to exertion. Her skin is so pale that only her vibrant hair color and black cape stand out. They can't stop worrying about her state for the reason that the healer isn't able to restore her own health as quickly as she heals others.

Raiden sighs and leans back in his chair. "I know. But it's her stubbornness that concerns me."

He is indeed concerned about Raia. He's perplexed as to why the girl refuses to accept any help and support. Is there something that happened to her in the past that caused her to be as stiff as she is now? She's so cynical and cold that he has no idea what's going through her head all the time. Raiden finds it frustrating in some ways.

Nathan lets out a loud yawn and rests his hands on the back of his head. He looks out the window. "Her power is really something, eh? It's strange, it feels so good. It's kind of comforting. Was that how you felt as well?"

Sunshine nods ruefully. "Yeah, it's nice and warm."

Nathan looks at Raiden. "How about you, Kara? What did you think of her the first time she healed you?"

Raiden's face softens as he recalls the warm sensation brought on by Raia's healing. "I was surprised when Raia first healed me. Her healing gave me hope; she gives me hope."

Nathan's gaze shifts to Raia. "Do you really believe she's a miracle?"

Raiden's brows furrow slightly, his face indistinguishable. People at the Order's headquarters had regarded Raia as a miracle ever since she joined the Order. Raiden, on the other hand, never sees her in that light. She is nothing more than a mere human being like them. Especially the day he discovered the truth about her power. Can he truly call such power a miracle for someone who suffers so much?

"I don't really know," Raiden finally responds after a long moment of thought.

Nathan gives him a long look before sighing. "I know; her power is a curse for her."

"I really feel bad for Raia, actually," says Sunshine, biting her bottom lip. "I almost wanted to stop her while she was healing me. I can't stand by and watch her in agony. But I didn't want to be rude, so I let her."

"You did the right thing," Nathan responds. "If you tried to stop her, you might make her your enemy."

Raiden nods, recalling the time Raia chastised him out of that.