Chapter Sixteen

Raiden trudges back to his room, his shoulders drooping and his face downturned

Raiden trudges back to his room, his shoulders drooping and his face downturned. He didn't mean to act that way, and he didn't mean to insult Raia. His chest continues to throb in pain as guilt piles up like mountains, burying him alive. Intense emotions are swirling inside him, and he no longer understands them. He has no idea where those emotions are coming from. They're so heavy that he can't ignore them.

Why am I feeling like this?

When he opens the door to the room, two pairs of worried eyes meet him in an instant, as if they have been waiting for him.

"Tell me, brother," Raiden says, trying to keep his voice steady. "Is it so wrong to wish for the salvation of all souls? Is compassion a weakness?"

Cyrus's jaw tightens as he takes in the boy's appearance as if he wants to do or say something to console him, but he maintains an indifferent expression. "Your emotions, Kara. It's unbecoming to a disciple."

Raiden averts his gaze, but he doesn't regret saying those words. That may sound ridiculous, but he doesn't care because that wish is the only thing keeping him alive; the only thing that makes him feel human. But . . . .

"Kara, to be a savior, you must also be a destroyer."

Raiden clenches his fists as determination surges within him. He will save every soul, even if it means destroying them. That is his goal, something he must accomplish in order to retain his humanity. Because that is what he is and must be—a savior and a destroyer.

"I will get stronger," Raiden says, his eyes downcast. "I will reach the highest divine level of my Blessing so that I can save every soul from the darkness. I'll get stronger until I can protect myself on my own." He pauses for a moment before continuing. "So Raia won't have to heal me again."

Cyrus's expression softens, but he remains silent. Instead, he speaks to Sonnet without looking at her. "Sonnet, go get Nathan and Raia. We'll leave as soon as I make the necessary phone calls." He gently pats Raiden's head as he sweeps past.

"I have faith in you," Cyrus whispers. He walks down the corridor, not looking back.

Raiden's eyes widen slightly, almost tearfully, and his mouth curves into a slight smile. When he lifts his head, he sees Sonnet looking at him with a motherly smile, and warmth fills his chest.

***

A palpable tension pervades the train compartment. Raia and Raiden are sitting across from each other, grimly staring out the window. Nathan, Cyrus, and Sonnet give them worried looks from time to time. Since leaving town, the two have been silent.