Epilogue

In a dark and narrow alleyway between two buildings, a little boy sobs quietly

In a dark and narrow alleyway between two buildings, a little boy sobs quietly. He sits on the ground with his face buried in his knees. People stroll past, but not one of them spares a glance at him. None of them have even noticed his presence. Because he's nothing more than a silhouette.

But not for Karma.

While no one else has noticed the boy, Karma is staring at him from the opposite alley, his eyes studying the little existence blending into the shadows. The boy has chosen the perfect spot to conceal his presence, clearly indicating that he does not want to be found.

"What a fragile thing," mutters Karma. He then emerges from the alley and walks across the street. Despite his sudden appearance, the pedestrians pay him no heed as if they haven't seen him. As if he's invisible. His long blond hair glows in the moonlight, and the light from the streetlamps reflects in his sharp, dark eyes.

He glides into the dark and narrow alley, his shadow swallowing the young boy's silhouette.

"You poor little thing," he says in a low-pitched, almost crooning voice.

The little boy raises his head, his hazel eyes meeting Karma's pitch black ones.

Karma smiles. "Now, what saddened you?"

The boy sniffs, then he wipes his eyes dry. "My parents always scold me."

Karma's face remains stoic. "Ah, that's very sad."

The boy stands up, his face contorted in rage. "But no matter what she does, they never scold my sister!"

Karma stares at him. The boy sniffs again, wiping his tears and nose with the hem of his tunic, and looks up at Karma.

"By the way, Mister, what are you doing here? Have my sobbing bothered you?" says the boy, his head bowed low. "Please forgive me."

"No, you didn't; there's no need to apologize." Karma tucks his hands into his tailcoat pockets and leans down to whisper into the child's ear. "Do you want revenge on the people who wronged you?"

The boy blinks, confused. "Revenge?"

Karma's thin lips form a wicked smile. "Yes. We'll show them that they're wrong to chastise you, and we'll show your sister what it's like to be you, and why she deserves to be punished for her sins."

The boy's face shows a fleeting expression of trepidation. For a brief moment, Karma believes he will say no, but the boy's face brightens as if hope has been rekindled within him. He nods.

Karma grins, revealing a neat line of white teeth that gleams in the darkness around them. When he stretches his arm, a wooden staff appears in his hand. The staff is long, with the top forming a crescent shape with a red-glowing diamond inside. The boy looks up in awe, having witnessed such a magical phenomenon for the first time in his life.