Summer of 1999: Part 3

Brian's POV

When 4th of July came around, we went over to Matt's house to burn illegals we purchased from a family down the block. It was all fun and games until we almost set his house of fire. His dad was infuriated by the ticket he received of $500 just for burning a tree in Huntington Beach and made us pay for the damage done. All of the money we had saved for shows and equipment went to Matt's dad and it pained us dearly to let it go. 

A few days later, Zacky took Jackie and I to the batting cages where she might have lowered my sperm count after she accidentally hit me in the sack with an alluminum bat at full force. I was in so much pain and for a while, I couldn't help but let a couple tears fall from my eyes as I hit the ground. I never knew the true meaning of pain until that happened. While I tended to my pain, she offered to sit with me and in doing so, we talked about her and who she is. 

I found out she played softball in high school and won a handful of awards for Pitcher of the Year. She had chosen to attend New York University for Fashion Design and Business Management, and hoped to follow her father's footsteps. Her father, Mark Baker-- the brother of Zacky's dad-- was a Public Relations Assistant Manager for the New York Yankees until he was promoted to Manager of Public Relations in '98. She informed me that her greatest goal was to take over her father's position-- she wanted nothing less. 

On my birthday, we got drunk and did the unimaginable--we jumped into the community pool and nearly got caught. Granted, I've ran from cops plenty of times before with Jimmy, but running with my best friends and probably one of the most coolest girls I had the pleasure of knowing, made it the best birthday ever. She was an adrenaline junkie and I deeply admired that... I admired that a lot. 

Over the two weeks that quickly passed, it was safe to say Jackie was considered one of us. She fit into our group perfectly; without a doubt an official member of the Avenged Sevenfold family... And I may have also grown quite fond and attached to her in an emotional way. 

As the days followed, she continued to hang out with us at Matt's garage. I knew she'd soon be leaving and I would not get to see much of her--if any--so to me, her company was gold. She sat beside me on the ground; our backs leaning against a few guitar amps and rigs set up around the garage. While we waited for practice to start, Jackie and I drowned ourselves in a conversation about classical composers. Her knowlege about Chopin, Bach, and Beehtoven stunned me. Prior to her, I had never met a girl with such comprehension when it came to music. 

I was interested when it came to her opinions on some of the composers greatest pieces, but I found myself more interested in the illumination beaming from her eyes; her beautiful green eyes. I couldn't tear myself away from them. They say, "The eyes are the window to the soul," and if that was the case, then I believed her soul was full of forceful-seduction because I was being unwillingly seduced by the beauty before me.

"Guys, guess what?!" Matt's voice echoed and bounced off the walls as he entered the garage through the back door. Everyone--including me--turned their attention to him, catching the smile etched upon his face. "Chain Reaction has an opening for a band in nine days! The guy asked if we wanted to do it! And I said, fuck yeah!" His smile faded and he threw the phone in his hand into a box at the side; slowly, it sunk into the bubble wrap. He released a loud sigh, pulling the office chair toward him as he spun it around and lowered himself to the cushion. "Until I remembered we're broke. My dad just took the five hundred away for the tree we burnt down. He said he'd hold the spot for us if we could come up with one hundred-twenty bucks. I don't have that kind of money and I'm sure no one else does either. God damn it," he said under his breath as he rubbed his temples. "Our only fucking chance and I blew it." 

I felt horrible; not only for Matt but for everyone in the band. We all wanted to seize the opportunity to perform in front of an audience and publicly display our talent. Of course, we weren't going to count ourselves ill-fated as we had done plenty of shows in the backyards of our friends homes. But the thought of performing in front of people that hadn't a clue who we were sent a shot of exhilration throughout my body. Just knowing we weren't going to have that opportunity numbed my soul. 

"I  could give it to you guys," a soft voice spoke.

In unison, the guys and I looked at Jackie, then we all looked at each other in uncertainty. It was evident we all wanted to take the money from her. We wanted to perform at the show and show the world what we were made of. However, taking money from someone who was a stranger a month ago seemed like the wrong thing to do. 

"As much as we'd love that Jackie, we don't have anything to pay you back with," Jimmy responded in a disappointed manner. He unscrewed the cymball nut, carefully lifting the round plate off the stand and shrugged his shoulders saying, "We can't accept your money, if even you decide we don't need to pay you back."

"But you don't need to," she emphasized, rising to her feet. "I owe you guys a favor, remember? This could make up for it--" 

"No, no, no," Matt protested as he pushed himself off the chair and headed in her direction. "You didn't have to scream. It was just a way for you to get comfortable with us and have some fun. No favor needs to be made up. Trust me. Keep your money, Jackie. Maybe this was a sign that we aren't supposed to do the show--"

"But it would be really nice if you did," she contended; her voice growing with enticement. Matt sighed, looking away from Jackie and made direct contact with each of us as though he was reaching out for our opinion as well. Everyone stood silent. We truly did not know what to make of her offer, but we did know we did not want to make the wrong decision. "You guys know for a fact that these chances don't come everyday. I have eighty dollars in my bag," she said, bending at her waist and reaching into her camo-bag which sat on the ground beside me. The guys and I exchanged hesitant stares; not once taking the free chance to look at her bum. I looked on as she opened her wallet, pulling out all of the money neatly set in the pocket. "I'll get the rest to you guys tomorrow." 

I shook my head, placing my hand above her's before she had the chance to pull the money compeltely out of her faux leather wallet. She turned her head towards me; the dark brown strands of hair gracefully falling and hanging over her cheek. At that presise moment, my heart began racing a thousand miles per minute, and I competely forgot what I was going to say. As I looked into her eyes, I couldn't distingush reality from fantasy; I was trapped in a beautiful puragotory. 

"Why not?" She whispered; goose bumps vividly forming on her arms. 

"I didn't say anything," I replied in a deep, raspy voice, looking up at her as she straightened herself--our gaze not once breaking. 

"You were going to..." She pulled her hand away from mine, slipping through my grip. For a moment, she stared at me with a blank expression, then turned her attention to the guys, leaving me desperate for more. "Take it. I insist. I want you guys to get far--to live your dream. It's just money," she said, slapping the bills on Matt's palm, "I'll even go see you guys. Just put on a great show out there. That's how you can pay me back."

A wide smile tugged at the corner of Matt's mouth and his arms flew around Jackie's small frame. He lifted her of the ground; the bills in his hand flying and crackling in his hand. 

Once she was carefully set on the ground, she turned around and swayed herself into my direction while the guys huddled together and began cheering victoriously. I felt the need to join them, however, my arms craved for her embrace. I wanted to feel her body against mine. 

"You're welcome," she winked, wrapping her arms around my torso. 

I inhaled the sweet vanilla smell and my body went weak. I threw my arms around her shoulders, holding her tightly in my arms; never wanting to let her go...