Mentally Unprepared

Jackie's POV

I was surprised by how little I thought about Brian after I returned from Starbucks. I guess I became so busy with unpacking and moving the furniture around that I had no time to think about him... But waking up the next morning, couldn't have been harder. 

The sun beamed through the windows and hit my face. I closed my eyes while I rolled on to my stomach, then opening them again to see the time on the alarm clock. 

I rolled my eyes, then pulled the covers over my face.

His face flooded my thoughts as I got ready for the day.

But as I was getting ready, he didn't once leave my mind. Before I had ever arrived to California, I wasn't sure if I loved him. I mean, I knew I loved him, but seeing him made me feel that raw emotion again. 

Then, Jesse's face came into my mind. I'd never been in love with him, but there was always something that made me happy inside around him. I could never figure out what it was 

I was pulled out of my thoughts when there was a knock at the door. I buttoned up my pants and made my way downstairs. A woman my height, with a bigger bust and blonde hair was at the door. She had a smile on her face, coming off as friendly.   

"Can I help you?" I asked opening the door a bit. 

"I'm Marlene. I'm your neighbor. They brought this box to my house." She said handing me a little FedEx box.

I took it from her hands and examined it, "Thank you. I'm Jacqueline." I said giving her my hand to shake.

She gently shook it with a smile, "Nice to meet you. Well I better let you go-"

"No please come in. It's always nice to meet people around here. I'm kind of... alone." 

"Oh, thank you." She smiled at me and walked into my house. "This place is lovely!" 

She followed me into the kitchen, "Thank you. I just moved here from New York. How long have you been living here?" I asked her as I opened the package. 

"Eight years. I moved here from Anahiem. It's not too far." 

I nodded, as I pulled out a velvet box with a letter on the bottom, "Oh my God." I said looking at the box before even opening it. I feared it was a token of commitment. I didn't think I'd ever be ready to marry Jesse. I built up enough courage and opened it, "It's a necklace." 

Our jaws dropped when I saw the diamond placed in the center. "Your boyfriend?" She asked sitting on the bar stool. 

I quickly read the letter attatched before answering her question: 

Because I can't be there with you, I bought this for you hoping you'd think of me whenever you wear it. 

I love you

-Jet

"Yup." I said taking it out of the box and placing it around my neck, "He's amazing..."

For the next two hours, we had one of the best conversations ever. We talked about her life, my life, our jobs, our love lives. It was just awesome. I hadn't bonded with someone like that in so long. We laughed as we shared stories and occassionally secrets, too. We got personal with each other, but I didn't mind because there was something about Marlene that sent good vibes my way. 

I had to cut our talk short when Jesse called me and told me that he landed in LAX. It was supposed to be a surprise but he wanted to see me so bad, that he couldn't wait.