Chapter 73- Vacation Plans

Going back in the dorm rooms was actually a great comfort to you, despite being away from All Might, Endeavor, and Hawks. Every day, you were able to wake up in the same place as Katsuki and the other students in your class, knowing full well that you were actually safe. You had a nurse you trusted at your call and adults that would give their lives to protect you if you needed it. Being back at UA was liberating for your soul...but you felt your heart ache as if you were imposing in your class...pretending to have a quirk when you didn't. Deku would console you when he could about it, and Katsuki never brought the subject up, but it wasn't long until Eraserhead found out.

This morning, you found yourself in his room as your class practiced their concert materials for the upcoming festival. Usually visiting Eraserhead was relaxing for you, but your heart was pounding in your chest. Nezu figured out that you were quirkless a few days ago and most likely told Aizawa about your condition. Even though Nezu promised you a position in 1-A, it still never dismissed the nausea in your gut from the possible conversation with your teacher.

"(y/n), you're right on time," Aizawa yawned as he sat in his little window seat that he adored so much. Like a lounging cat, Aizawa always found himself most relaxed in odd places where he could view the outside world and bask in the light of the sun. There was a coffee cup waiting for you on his desk with melting whipped cream on the top. It's been awhile since you were able to enjoy the treat.

"Thanks sensei." You took a seat near his outstretched feet and looked right into your cup that you held with both hands despite the protesting hot temperature. Your mind was empty...your body felt tired...everything felt like too much effort.

"What's with the long face? You look like you're going to burst into tears," Aizawa asked you as he sipped his own sweet beverage with a concerned look in his black eyes.

"I'm just tired," you responded with a sigh. At this point you didn't know if that was the truth anymore of simply a way to deviate from any painful prying questions.

"(y/n)...I want to be honest with you..." Aizawa started which made you feel like your stomach dropped in your gut. "I just want to say from the bottom of my heart that I'm sorry. The fact I didn't catch on what happened to you sooner has been my worst failure as a teacher...and between you and Bakugo both being captured this year...I just don't know if I'm good enough for this job. I should have known...I should have been there for you...and I'll do anything I can for the rest of my life to make it up to you." 

Aizawa's apology was so shocking that your mouth dropped open in a soft 'o' shape...and your first reaction was to vehemently deny Aizawa's claims about his teaching skills.

"Are you kidding sensei? You're one of the few people that ever saw Katsuki and I as people who were able to become heroes and not potential villains! You inspire us, both of us, and I know if you knew about what happened to me sooner then you would have done everything you could. You can't be pissed at yourself for not knowing. That wasn't your fault. No one knew about it! You don't need to apologize to me!"

Aizawa was looking at you and would never admit it but your voice of denial reached a long closed off part of his heart. As a child, he knew he wanted to be a hero, but didn't think he had it in him to ever be like All Might or Endeavor. He thought he'd simply hide within a crowd and do what he could to live an average life. But...heroism was brutal and he lost more than he would ever care to admit. To think a man like him who people always accused of being lazy would be the type of guy that would inspire children to become heroes...to help keep them feeling safe and secure...it was one of the few times he ever actually felt like a hero.

"Thanks...that means a lot."

The two of you were quiet for a while again and simply rested within one another's presence. For you, there was a pleasant comfort of knowing Aizawa was right there to protect you and keep you safe. For him, he felt relief that you were actually sitting, alive, in front of him when it was by a complete miracle you weren't killed, sexually assaulted, or maimed in custody of The Doctor and Overhaul.