39

After spending almost fifteen minutes trying to wash away my annoyance, I change into the clothes Pat left behind and head back to the kitchen. Nala is in the living room with Nathan going over some files, their voices reduced to hush whispers. Not wanting to distract them, I pack some of the food as quietly as I can, but one of the containers falls, alerting them of my presence.

"Annelise, I'm so so sorry," Nala says. She's standing with her arms clasped in front of her, and Nathan has a palm over his face. "I'm just so overworked, and I wasn't thinking."

Wasn't thinking is right.

"It's fine, Nala," I shrug, picking up the container. "Don't let me interrupt you; I'm leaving anyway."

"Wait; what?" Nathan says. He joins her in standing and walks to me, his arms crossed over his chest. "I'm not just going to let you leave by yourself."

"I'm not going to run away, Nathan, I just want some time to think by myself," I tell him, rolling my eyes.

"Then let me call you a cab, at least."

I shake my head and put the food in a plastic bag. "There's safety in crowds sometimes. Not that I feel unsafe or anything like that," I add when he starts to frown. I kiss his cheek and head to the front door. "I promise to text when I get back home."

Nathan's brows are still furrowed as I close the door, and I feel bad for making him worry. I walk briskly down the hallway, hoping no one comes out of their apartment. It's too late in the day for it to be considered sneaking out, but I don't need any funny questions.

I make it to the parking lot without incident and use my GPS to direct me to the nearest bus station. Thankfully, it's not very far, and although it's noon, the weather is surprisingly cool. I play different scenarios of what could happen in court and how I would respond to them while keeping my emotions in check. Unfortunately, the only questions I can think of are the ones Nala asked. And I already know the answers. Maybe I should ask Nathan for help?

I board the bus once it arrives, and I find it near full. The only spaces available are standing ones, but my swollen tummy would make it an uncomfortable fit.

"Are you coming or what?" The driver barks and embarrassed, I rush in. "You'd better hold on to something, miss."

The bus starts moving, and I lurch forward. I'm able to grab a seat before I fall, coming face to face with a woman, and a young girl, I assume is her daughter. My heart drops as I remember Jocelyn and Rachel, but I force a smile, so I don't scare the child.

"Are you okay?" The woman asks, her tone kind. "You can take my seat; I'm sure you need it more than I do."

I nod, too uncomfortable to pretend. "Thank you."

She smiles again and whispers something to the little girl. She pouts slightly but nods, looking at her shoes. The shoes are worn out and dirty like she's been using it for years. Pain pierces through my head, and I drop into the now empty seat. The woman holds the back of the chair and crouches beside me.

"Are you okay?" She inquires, placing her hand on my back.

I cover my face, unsure how to answer as images of dirty shoes and sticky hands flood my mind. I groan as I try to block it out, but the young girl whimpering beside me messes up my concentration.

"Do you- do you need to go to the hospital?" The woman questions, now rubbing my back. I can hear the other passengers murmuring in the background, and I don't want to cause any more of a scene or make Nathan or Pat any more worried than they are, so I choke out a yes.