14

I can't feel anything. The doctor's words keep replaying in my head as I lay in bed.

High risk...

Can't dance...

Two babies...

Someone is banging on the front door but I'm not bothered to check. I have my snacks beside me and my bathroom within a few feet; what else do I need?

The banging stops and my phone starts to ring a few seconds later.

"What?" I say once I pick up, not bothering to look at the ID.

"Come and open the door before I break it down," Nathan's voice seethes on the other end. "And I'm not joking." He hangs up before I can think up something rude to say.

I contemplated not standing up but he sounded serious, so I forced myself out of bed and into the living room.

"Aren't you meant to be at the gym?" I ask him once I open the door. He sneers at me before pushing past me. I groan as I turn to face him.

"What is wrong with you?"

"I don't know what you mean?"

"I mean why are you so determined to feel sorry for yourself."

"I still don't know what you mean and even if I did, don't I have a right to feel sorry for myself? My life was stolen from me."

"And yet you're still alive," he says, his eyes bright with anger. He blinks it away and lets out a sigh. "I'm trying to look out for you, Annelise, why won't you let me?"

I never asked you to! I want to shout but I know it's a lie; I involved him in my life the night I called him to keep me company.

"Maybe I don't know how," I finally mutter, holding his gaze.

He takes a few steps closer to me and my heart quickens. "Then let me show you," he says softly, looking at me with warmth in his eyes.

For some reason, my mind imagines him leaning down and kissing me; I panic and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, "I need to pee."

He creases his brows and purses his lips, "Alright."

He steps out of the way and I practically run to the bathroom. I stare at my reflection and my cheeks are aflame, I splash some water on them to hide the evidence. I find that I actually need to use the bathroom and emerge minutes later.

"So, why aren't you at the self-defense class?" I ask before he can steer the conversation the way he wants.

"What's the point of a teacher if there's no student?"

"Well I need you to look out for Diana," I say in a 'as a matter of fact' tone.

"I'm not going to go there just for Diana; Logan would be on my case and I'm not in the mood. Plus Diana doesn't need me to look out for her."

"Speaking of Logan... he called me on Saturday. I forgot to tell you."

"How did he get your number?"

"From the signup sheet," I reply, lying on the couch. He raises his eyebrows in disbelief and I raise my shoulders in agreement. "That's what I thought as well."

"What did he want?"

"He wanted to know where you were, if we were dating and to let me know your life is in grave danger."

"And what did you tell him?" He's back to looking at me with intense eyes and I mentally scold myself, looking away.

Why did you have to bring up the 'D' word, Annelise?