3

Frederic Byrd likes to claim that he developed feelings for me the very first time we met and was just waiting for me to realize that we were meant to be. It's a story he loves to tell strangers and friends alike, and although it usually makes me blush, thinking about it right now makes my insides turn.

I'm putting the food away into containers, and just generally trying to keep myself busy when I hear a knock on the door. I ignore it in hopes that the person would leave, saying I'm not in the mood is an understatement. Another knock comes but with more force.

"Who is it?" I yell, not bothering to walk to the door.

"It's me!" a muffled voice yells back.

Ugh, Frederic.

"Who?" I ask again. I want to be left alone so I can wallow in my sadness.

"Freddie, your boyfriend. Remember me?"

I take a few deep breaths and walk to the door. By the time I open it, there's no trace of how I'm feeling on my face. "What are you doing here?" I ask, making sure my voice is as airy as possible.

"I came to see you," he says slowly. His eyes rake over my body and I have the urge to vomit. I keep it inside though; I don't want to raise any suspicions. "I was worried. I can't believe you walked home from the diner, and so late at night as well. What were you thinking and... I don't know, weren't you scared?" He whispers the last part as if afraid of what it might imply.

I sigh and look at my feet. Are all men so daft?

"I was thinking that I wanted to be in my bed after the day I had, and no, I wasn't scared. Why would I have been scared to walk a path I've walked a thousand times before?" I ask him, feigning confusion.

Wow, maybe I should become an actress.

He looks past me into the house and back at me, probably waiting for an invitation inside. He's going to wait for a long time then.

Clearing his throat loudly, he adjusts his feet before answering my question. "Well... I mean... it's not safe for anyone to walk the streets late at night, especially not girls."

I raise an eyebrow at him, "Do you want to elaborate on that?" I don't know why I'm baiting him; it's not like I would tell him if he spelled it out.

"I'm proud of you," he tells me, ignoring my question as he puts his hand on my shoulder. I flinch at the contact and he pulls back, "Are you sure you're okay, babe?"

"I'm fine, Frederic, just tired from my ballet practice, plus I'm famished." My head starts to pound, and I'm tired of the façade. "Did you want something else?"

A look of puzzlement crosses his face. "Yeah... I wanted to see you, Annelise."

Not enough to have honored your commitment.

"Well, here I am. Seen. You can go back to your place now." I add a twirl for dramatic effect.

Now he looks hurt. He dares to look hurt. "Look, Annelise, I know you're upset, but I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't know I was that worn out from work. Please don't be mad."

I feign confusion and let out a laugh, "What makes you think I'm mad, Freddie?"

"Come on, Annelise," he says, cocking his head to the side, "I know you."

He takes a step towards me and I take a step back. "You know me? Because we've been together for over two years you think you know me?"

"Um, yeah, I think that's a good enough time to know somebody."

A Dance of Lifeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें