11

"I hate my job," Pat grumbles as she throws her bag on the table Friday night. "Mr. Williams was a gem compared to his brother; I swear he doesn't know how to run a business!"

"What happened?" I place the cup of tea I made in front of her and put the kettle back on the stove.

"He treats me like I'm some amateur; 'I don't think you should do it that way, Patricia,'" she says in a mocking voice. "Do you know Mr. Williams was going to make me manger? Manager! So I obviously know what I'm doing."

"Wouldn't being a manager have been more work, though?" I ask, trying to make her see reason.

"The way that man is slave-driving us, I somehow doubt it. If he wants to run more hours then he should hire more people. Franky wanted to throw a get together but she postponed it indefinitely cause she's too tired from school and work."

"Frankie can just quit if she wants to; her parents have enough money to support her."

"So does yours but I don't see you running to him for help," she retorts. She groans and facepalms herself. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I'm just so pissed."

"I've actually been thinking about my dad lately..." I tell her, "I think I'm going to go see him."

She gasps audibly, "Are you being serious right now?"

"Uh, yeah," I say as I pour the hot water into a cup and seat at the table. "I think he deserves to know what's going on with me right now."

"Wait, does that mean that you're keeping the baby?" She inquires, sitting up straighter.

"Go back to slouching, Pat; I'm not. But if I do, if I don't, shouldn't he still know that he's a grandfather?" I sigh.

"I get your point but are you ready to see him?"

"I'm not but I can't keep waiting till I'm ready unless I'm pretty sure I'll keep making excuses. I have to jump in headfirst." She narrows her eyes at me in question. "Don't worry, I'm not leaving tomorrow or something, I still have unfinished business in town."

"Like Detective Nathan Russel?" She says, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"What? No, are you crazy?" I laugh, "I meant like doctors' appointments and research and my self-defense classes."

"With Detective Nathan Russel," she joins her shoulders in the dance.

"Yeah, you are insane." I get up and walk to the living room, plopping onto the couch.

"I've seen the way he looks at you," Pat says from behind me, "Especially when you're not looking. He stares with so much adoration." She drags the last word for emphasis.

"Patricia?"

"Yeah?" She's still dancing and giving me a wicked grin.

"Shut up."

She falls on the couch in laughter, "Why? Don't tell me you haven't noticed?" She snickering and playing with her facial expressions.

Does he actually? Geez, Pat, why'd you have to go and put such thoughts in my head.

"Ah-ha! You're blushing!"

"What? No, I'm not," I cover my cheeks with my hands but bring them down immediately. "Actually yes, I am, but not for the reason you think. I'm- I'm embarrassed that you would say such, that's why."

"Hmm, alright but I'll be waiting for your realization and I promise I won't say I told you so."

I stick my tongue out at her. "Whatever you say, weirdo. Now, on a serious note, what does your week look like? And clear Saturday because you are following me to the first doctor's appointment."