T w e n t y - T h r e e

Kageyama's POV

Upon finding out Shouyou's room number, I burst into his hospital room with no remorse. My knees are shaking from how much I've been running and I place my hands on my thighs, recovering my rapid breathing and stamina.

I feel the eyes of the nurses and the doctor present in the room stare me down, not in irritation, but with concern. "Sir, are you Kageyama Tobio?" I hear one of the medical officials ask, making me look up.

I furrow my brows in confusion, replying with, "Yes..?"

"I'm glad to hear," the doctor smiles at me warmly. "The procedure was completed two hours ago."

My eyes widen and my thoughts spiral into a panic. Was I too late? Did it fail miserably and now he can't hear or speak at all? If it failed, why the hell is that doctor smiling so happily?

"There's no need to fear," the doctor continued, the line of nurses parting to reveal a boy with ginger hair asleep in a hospital bed. "It went successfully, you should speak to him. I'm sure he would love to hear your voice clearly for the first time, not muffled or softly spoken."

I nod and gulp. Why am I so nervous?

I tap Shouyou's shoulder and he stirs awake, fluttering open his stunning amber eyes. "Kage..yama..?"

I cup my hands over my mouth and become confused as to why water was beginning to run down my face. It took me a second or two, but I realized I was crying; I was crying for Shouyou. "D-Don't speak! Y-You need some time to rest your v-vocal cords.. t-that and I would love to hear your voice at its fullest p-potential.."

I sobbed and buried my head into the spiker's hospital gown, unable to strain the waterworks. "I-I love you.."

He freezes and I feel a grin form from his previously neutral facial expression.

Hinata's POV

"I love you too," I mumble in a loving manner in reply to my setter.

Kageyama's head shoots up and stares at me in awe. "Y-You do?"

I nod and sign, "I meant it that night, Tobio."

His eyes widen and he covers his mouth again, but I can sense that his lips are quivering underneath his hands. "S-Shou..y-you.."

The doctor taps Tobio's shoulder and says, "Will you be Hinata's caretaker?" I watched as the raven haired boy blinked at the medical professional, bewildered in response.

I sign to the doctor, "I'm pretty sure my mom is taking care of me, but can Tobio be my secondary caretaker?"

There was an evident lack of hesitance and the physician immediately nodded. "Of course, after all, Kageyama Tobio seems to be a good fit for you."

My smile brightens the room and I feel Tobio hold me closer, his arms locking behind my back to ensure that I don't slip from his grasp. I sink into his warm embrace, aware that my cheeks were heating up out of fluster and love.

We heard a knock on the door and Tobio quickly pulled away from me to give the mysterious visitors his full attention. It was my mom, along with my little sister, Natsu, and my father.

"I'm glad your surgery went well, Sho!" My ginger haired sister cheerfully exclaims, handing me a small rose she had picked out at a flower shop.

I mumble a "thanks", trying to be enthusiastic as possible without damaging my vocal cords. My mom hands me a "Get Well Soon!" card and I gratefully take it out of her clasp.

"Sho, I—" I interrupted my father by intensely staring him down, successfully making him feel uncomfortable.

"I understand," my father finally found his words again. "You'll never forgive me for what I've done and I get it. Whenever you're ready, Shouyou, I'll be happy to speak to you again."

I blatantly recognized that he called me by my actual name instead of just "son." Hesitantly, I rasped, "Wait."

I sign, hoping he can interpret sign language, "I forgive you."

He smiles happily and wipes away a few stray tears, pulling me into a hug. My brain freezes and I'm unsure how to react trying to comprehend his sudden hug, as I had never received affection from him in my childhood.

In a matter of seconds, I hug him back, tighter than I had ever hugged anyone else. "I love you," I murmured softly, weeping into his shirt.

There was something I never thought I'd hear from him, but he murmured in reply,

"I love you too, Shouyou."