Chapter 46

As Seymour and Alarcos settle down for sleep immediately, and as Cecilia and Tobias start murmuring to each other while lying comfortably, I am left alone with Eliot. I am more than willing to take advantage of the situation since I want to make him pay for all the moments he made me feel all those conflicting emotions.

Perhaps I did want something more from the odd Healer but knowing what I know makes things so much easier. A bit of fun never hurt anyone.

"If you need anything at all, just ask, and I'll be happy to bring it to you," Eliot says, getting ready to leave.

His demeanor is far from the cocky guy I've met, and I am starting to wonder if he has some kind of personality disorder.

"Anything?" I ask, licking my lips enticingly as I slowly start approaching him.

He gulps loudly at my brazen behavior and starts backing away from me while also nodding his head as an answer to my questions.

"And what if what I really need...what I desire the most...is you?" I ask, doing my best to channel my inner seductress.

Let's be honest, if you live as long as I've lived, you learn a thing or two about everything, seduction is no exception. Though, I have not used its powers in a long time. It's fun to tap into that part of who I am, of that power that has nothing to do with being a vampire.

"Helen...I..." he starts to say as I continue approaching.

Soon enough, his back hits the wall, and he has nowhere to run. He is all mine.

It seems that the big talker is now left speechless, now when all his games are exposed, and there is no power left to hold over me, he seems to have lost all his confidence.

"What if we just ignore the mission and do what we have both wanted to do?" I whisper in his ear, my lips gently brushing against his ear.

What I don't expect is for him to blush profusely. It's as if he had not made the first move, as if he had not kissed me so boldly. It appears as if he is a virtuous maiden that I am about to corrupt.

The temptation is too great for even me to resist, so I throw away all the plans I had about the games I would play with him and lower my lips to his delicious ones.

I kiss him with far more passion than I anticipated, molding my body against his, which causes the heat from his body to burn through the coldness of my skin. I can feel him trembling under my hand, and I can't help but feel a bit smug that I have the power to do so.

"Helen," he says, breaking the kiss.

"I need to go," he surprises me by saying.

I feel like I've done something wrong. As if Eliot is running away from me, and I have no idea why.

Aren't we both adults who feel desire towards each other? Aren't we on the same page?

Unsure of what the right thing to say is, I just move away from him, feeling a pang of irritation at him. Where is the guy I met, and who is this blushing Healer that seems to be left in his place?

"You know father wasn't telling the truth," Olivia says, appearing mere moments after I lose sight of Eliot.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"Eliot is not a ladies' man. As a matter of fact, he has been in only one relationship as far as I know, and that was not a fling but a long term relationship." Olivia says.

I am not so happy with this revelation. What does that mean for me? For us?

"Why would your father even say that if it's not the truth?" I ask.

"Father has noticed the same thing I've noticed," Olivia says mysteriously.

"And what is that?" I ask, irritated by her lack of honesty.

"Eliot has feelings for you. It was clear from the moment he returned. While he was telling us about what happened, every word he said about you had a certain warmth that was clear to hear. I had a feeling then, but when I saw the way he looked at you, I knew for sure." Olivia says.

"Even if that's true, your father can rest assured that I am not planning on getting involved with anyone, any time soon. Besides, overly confident men are not my type," I say.

"I hope for both of your sake's that you aren't telling me the truth. Eliot really likes you, and the fact that he was pretending to be so confident says it more clearly than you think." Olivia says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Eliot is the least confident man I know. The only time he has tried to be confident was when he was in love. He was trying to mask his insecurities by pretending to be too confident. I guess, in this case, it worked a bit too well but not the way he hoped." Olivia says.

"I am not sure what I am supposed to say to that," I say.

"Just try not to break his heart. He is not as brave as he pretends to be," Olivia says, leaving me alone with my warring thoughts.

I am not sure if I believe everything she has told me. However, that would explain Eliot's odd behavior, especially him running away when I so recklessly kissed him.

Maybe he wasn't looking for just another hookup after all. He might have been looking for something more. My directness scared him off, me coming on to him so openly managed to drive him away, perhaps permanently.

Was that what I really wanted, or should I apologize to him? Wouldn't it be better for both of us if he were to assume that I was way too forward for a lady and back away?

What if some separation from men would do me good? What would it do to Eliot if I let him believe that my true self is looking for a lover instead of a serious relationship?

Am I ready to break someone's heart the same way mine has been broken more than once?

If so, what would that say about me? About my nature?

What if his father has a point in not wanting his son to date a vampire? What if I lose control and feed on him? Kill him even? Would I be able to bear the loss? Am I willing to take the risk? Is he?

I have no valid answers to the questions, but perhaps sleep will provide me with some insights.

Sleep is for the weak, and I've never felt weaker than I do now, so I might as well embrace it.