Chapter 5

As we go on, the tense atmosphere between the three of us doesn't subside, which annoys me. After all, we are not mortal teenagers to get worked up about ancient history.

As vampires, we can feel a smaller range of emotions, but those that we can feel, are felt at a much greater intensity, which seems to be the main problem for us now.

It's not about love or pain, it's about hurt pride, betrayal. No matter what Seymour's reasons were, both Alacros and I still hold a grudge.

That's what bothers me the most. I am a rational vampire, and yet, I have started allowing those pesky emotions to get the better of me.

I say no more! I will focus on what needs to be done and leave aside all that was. It's best to leave past in the past.

My reflections are interrupted by a strange buzz of energy. My whole body feels energized, even more than after feeding on fresh blood.

"We are almost there," Seymour says.

That's when I realize that what I feel is power, the kind of power that is unknown and unknowable to many. It is similar to the energy most haunted houses exert, and it's also what keeps the humans away, which makes them avoid them at any cost. However, it's much bigger, more ancient, would be the best way to describe it.

Even for my vampire self, it is baffling.

There is also a low buzzing sound that pierces through my ears, making my eardrums tremble annoyingly.

"What is that horrible sound?" I ask.

"It's a defense mechanism against humans. For them, it's excruciating, and they can't go past it. We can." Seymour says.

That knowledge doesn't help me adjust, and I am irritated by his curtness.

"Making a gradual transition helps.

Plug your ears, then unplug one, then the other," Alarcos says helpfully.

I do as he says, and it makes all the difference.

I smile at him gratefully, and we move on.

Stubborn as Seymour is, he insists on leading the way, since he claims to know all the tasks and traps that the place can throw at us. I am not so sure, but either way, it sounds only fair for him to risk his life, after destroying ours.

After walking for a few more meters, I hear a strange crunching sound and before I can do anything, Alarcos is lying on the ground, blood soaking his clothing.

It takes my brain a second to connect all the dots, and when I do, I can't help but respect Alarcos even more.

Seymour has stepped on a trap, and he saved his life. He saved the life of a person who left him without a goodbye, only to find him centuries later, courting another person. He is a much better person then I could ever be, vampire or not.

"Why did you do that?" Seymour yells, stunned.

He was holding Alarcos checking how bad the wound is.

Even for vampires, bleeding could pose a problem if too much blood is lost, so he did his best to make sure the injury was not too severe.

"Because you would have died. The stake was aiming for your heart. No matter how obnoxious you can be sometimes, I don't want you to die." Alarcos says.

That's when I notice the stake protruding out of his shoulder wound. It has almost gone through completely, and only a small part of it is visible from this angle.

If it had gone on its intended path, it would have almost certainly killed Seymour.

This knowledge helps me understand, that no matter how angry I am at Seymour, no matter how much I don't trust him, I can't imagine the world without him in it.

We will never get back together, but he has suffered enough, being a vampire was never easy on him, he has struggled more than anyone I know. I don't want to see him die, he doesn't deserve that.

We all make mistakes, and yet, death sounds like a steep price to pay for cowardice.

"Let me take a look at that. I have a lot more experience in taking care of wounds." I say.

Knowing I am right, Seymour shifts his body to allow me an unobstructed view of the wound, but he still holds on to Alarcos. His touch seems to offer comfort not only to Alarcos' physical pain but emotional one, as well.

The worst part about it is getting the stake out of his shoulder, but I manage to do it without too much trouble. Once the stake is out, I can see that it's not a grave wound, for a vampire, it's like a scratch for a human.

" Thank you," Seymour says when he is sure Alarcos is okay.

"Don't mention it," Alarcos says.

He is trying to downplay what he did. I can understand that. He just risked his life to save Seymour's and didn't want Seymour to think he still cared. That even after everything that happened, after Seymour broke his heart, he still valued Seymour's life more than his own.

I feel sorry for him because he has shown his vulnerability, and I am afraid that Seymour might take advantage of it. That's why I decide to change the subject.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Well, I guess they put in new tests since I was here the last time," Seymour says, looking embarrassed.

That's when I realize that he feels guilty. Although it wasn't his fault, he feels guilty for what happened to Alarcos, and I am glad to see that.

Not because I like to see him in pain, which I partially do, but because he is not the sadistic vampire that he once was. Maybe people can change.

"You have passed the first test." A booming voice says.

"And what was that test all about, if you don't mind me asking, oh, creepy voice coming out of nowhere." I can't help but say.

Seymour gives me a disapproving look, and this time I know he is right.

We are dealing with ancient powers, and I should be more respectful. However, I am shaken up by the fact that this being, this presence has almost killed Seymour for trying to help me/ That's why I lost my composure, and let my sarcasm run wild.

"Test of courage you have passed, two more tasks await you. Be vigilant. Failure was close to you on this test, and one of you almost paid for your mistakes with his life." The voice says.

After saying that, I can feel the presence is gone. We are on our own.

Seeing the first test, I am not sure we should go on. I should go by myself.

"Maybe you two should..." I start to say.

"Come with you," Seymour says.

"Help you," Alarcos says.

I smile gratefully at them. It's obvious that Alarcos has his reasons for needing to go on, I am still grateful that he wishes to help me.

We proceed in a much more peaceful atmosphere, and I am happy because it will help us stay alert.