Chapter 45

Though I do my best to ignore Eliot's odd comment, I do feel a bit nervous at the prospect of meeting other Healers. Not for the reasons he assumes in that overconfident mind of his, but for a whole different set of reasons.

First of all, we belong to the species that they must despise more than any others since I am sure they've lost many people to my kind.

Though Eliot's sister does seem strangely at ease with the creatures that their history must describe as horrible monsters.

Does she trust her brother so blindly, or is it in her nature to have faith in things that can be dangerous?

"Helen, are you okay?" Tobias asks, approaching me.

I can notice that Seymour seems to be having the same worries, but he doesn't believe that it is his right to check on me. Not when his boyfriend for whom he dumped me is standing next to him.

Well, to be fair, we weren't together at the time, but being the second choice still hurts, more than he'll ever know.

"I am fine, just thinking. Weighing the possible outcomes of this meeting." I lie since I am tired of showing weakness.

"I am sure everything will be okay," Tobias says comfortingly.

"Yes, I'll be there to protect you. Don't you worry, sweetheart," Eliot says, rudely cutting into our conversation.

Then he dares to wink at me. The nerve of some people is beyond me.

My only response is to roll my eyes like a spiteful teenager.

Once I register my action, I can't help but wonder what has happened to me.

I used to be a wise vampire who used her words to vocalize her opinions. Now, I catch myself behaving like a newly born vampire. I've even started speaking like newborns these days.

Before I can contemplate if it is because I spend most of my time among young vampires, my thoughts are slashed into pieces by the voice, which is way too cheerful for my current mood.

"So, Helen, how is it being a vampire? Is there a lot of blood and killing? Does the sunlight burn you?" Olivia fires questions one after the other in rapid succession.

I am shocked both by the directness of her questions and her lack of knowledge. Shouldn't they teach them about the dangers of encountering vampires from an early age? How did this girl even survive this long with such an apparent lack of knowledge?

"Oh, my god, Olivia! You can't just go around asking people how it is being a vampire. Besides, your questions are dumb. It's daytime now, and they aren't burning up." Eliot says.

"I am not dumb. You're dumb." Olivia says, sticking her tongue out.

Is that how it is to have a sibling? Does the constant bickering ever end?

They continue talking nonsense, and I pay them no heed as I prepare myself for being judged or even condemned for my people's sins.

Eliot can talk a big game, but I don't think there is anything he can do to stop the other Healers if they decide to neutralize the threat, us.

I hope for Cecilia and Tobias' sake, this is not the case since I am sure it would be painful for them to watch me slaughter their family. One slaughtered family is enough, thank you very much.

With those thoughts, we arrive in front of a large mountain. A whole magnificent building seems to be carved into its side and I am impressed whether I like it or not.

In front of the beautiful structure, there is a guy in white tunic surrounded by soldiers, and I have a feeling that he is their leader.

"My son, are these your friends?" he says, addressing Eliot as Olivia skips to his side.

"Yes, father," Eliot says, sounding serious.

His demeanor is quite different from the joking banter that he usually displays, and I feel unease spreading through me.

First of all, I can't figure out who he is. Is he the playful charmer that I've met or this solemn guy that is standing before me?

Also, the fact that he didn't mention that he is the leader's son doesn't bode well with me.

After awkward introductions are made, I am once again caught by surprise with these Healers and their strange ways.

"Helen, so you must be the one who has refused my son's advances. A first woman to do so." Tolie, Eliot's father, says bursting out in laughter.

Honestly, I don't know if I should feel insulted, amused, or angry. Perhaps, I should feel all three. However, all I am is confused.

"Father, don't you start embarrassing me. You know that's not true." Eliot says, clearly embarrassed.

"My son, I am sure you've done a good job of embarrassing yourself already with your self-assuredness. I told you that women prefer modest guys." Tolie says.

Before Eliot can respond to his father's odd statement, Tolie starts guiding us inside.

"Come in, come in," he says.

"I am sure you've had a long journey, and even vampires need rest from time to time. I am sorry, but we won't be able to provide you with any sustenance, as I am sure you understand," he says.

"That's alright. We brought our own," Tobias says, showing our small freezer.

"Very well then, we shall let you rest, and after that, we will discuss everything.

"My son has told me that there is much to discuss, and as long as you don't mean us any harm, I am ready to listen," Tolie says.

We nod our heads, unsure of what the right words are as we are led to what looks like a dormitory.

I can see that Seymour and Alarcos find the scent permeating the place very tempting, almost as much as I do. However, Cecilia and Tobias don't seem to be bothered as much. I wonder why.

"I am sure you understand that I have to take a few precautions such as put guards in front of the room and have them follow you wherever you go," he says.

"Yes, of course. We understand. Feel free to take any measures that you feel are necessary. We'll make sure not to inconvenience you more than we already have," I say politely.

Tolie inclines his head respectfully and starts to leave.

"Father, I'll help them settle in," Eliot says.

"I am sure you will, my son. I am sure you will," he says, leaving.

"So, you are quite a Don Juan, aren't you?" I whisper seductively into Eliot's ear.

"I..." he starts stuttering.

"Well, this is one name you won't add to your list," I add in my most seductive voice as I see his whole body shiver.

Good. I can deal with lust. I was afraid Eliot wanted something else, something more. But seduction that's a game two can play and one I'm quite good at.