Slovakia

Slovakia-ring:

David and Natalie found themselves walking down the streets of David's hometown.

Since Košice was only a few hours away from the racetrack, David had elected to go there with Natalie while Taylor and Jeff went straight there. Their bags were on the plane to Bratislava with them, so David and Natalie only had their carry ons with them.

"David, not that I'm complaining, but why are we in Košice? Shouldn't we be in Bratislava?"
David nodded.
"Yeah, I booked a flight there for tomorrow morning. I just wanted to spend the night here."
David caught Natalie's look.
"Don't worry we have time, I just wanted to do something first."

David led her down a cobblestone street before stopping in front of a small ground floor apartment and knocked on the door.

The old woman who answered the door smiled widely as she saw him.
"David!" She drew him into a tight hug. "I've missed you so much!"
"I've missed you too grandma." David was trying to be strong but Natalie could see some tears in his eyes. It had been years since he had seen his grandparents in person.

"Where's grandpa?" David asked once they separated.
"He's inside preparing breakfast, go and see him I'll be right there."
David nodded and practically sprinted inside.

The old woman took Natalie's hands in hers.
"You must be Natalie... my David has spoken so much about you over the years.
Natalie blushed. "I didn't know David spoke so much about me..."
"Dear, almost every time he has called me or my husband he has always had a story or a comment about you, he could not go one day without mentioning you in some way."
She smiled.
"I've known about his love for you even before he did. Anytime he spoke about you his voice would change and when we were in a video call his eyes would light up... and now you two are together?"
Natalie shook her head. "He confessed to me last week, but I told him I needed time to think about it first."
"Well, just so you know, I can tell he adores you."

David came rushing down the hall.
Seeing everything was still outside, he quickly grabbed their luggage and put them inside the hallway by the front door.
He grabbed Natalie's hand.
"Nat, come on! I want you to meet my grandpa!"
The old woman smiled as Natalie hurriedly excused herself before allowing David to pull her down the hall.

       __________________________

The Slovakia Ring, Bratislava, Slovakia.

Other than the American Grand Prix in Austin, this would be David's only home race.
He had studied this track meticulously over the past few months and spent countless hours in the simulator, trying to perfect it.

By now everyone knew that there was a Slovak driver on the grid and they came out in full force to support David.
Other than a few patches of other colors here and there, all you could see in the grandstands were black t-shirts, Haas merchandise, and American and Slovak flags

David breathed deeply, trying to calm his nerves.
It was time to go.

Natalie came up and hugged him.
"Good luck, and please be careful."
David returned the hug. "Don't worry Nat, I will."
They soon separated. Natalie and David started heading back to the others and his car respectively.
Natalie stopped in her tracks as a thought occurred to her.
Her best friend could have died a few weeks ago... and now he was getting back into the car.
Yes... yes, she had to do one more thing.
She had to tell him, let him know that she had made her decision.