Alternate Timeline

Unofficial spin-off to the "Thank you" oneshot in my "David and Natalie Oneshots" book. "Unofficial" meaning you don't have to make the stories coincide if you do not want to.

David groaned a little as he piloted the F1 car around turn 15 of the Abu Dhabi circuit.
After what happened with his best friend he just couldn't bring himself to vlog anymore...
so he got into motor sports.

Some people thought it was strange that he would want to drive more after the accident but in David's eyes, the better he was at driving would help him ensure it would never happen again.

He thought about his current predicament as he went through turn 19. He was racing for Haas in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final race of the 2028 Formula One season... he was on the second to last lap and he was in the lead.
David needed to win the race to beat George Russell to the world championship title but he was struggling. George's Mercedes was unrelenting behind him. Although he wasn't in DRS range at 1.5 seconds just yet, David knew it was only a matter of time before George got within one second behind. 

All his family and friends were there watching; even, surprisingly, Natalie's father.

David ignored his race engineer Gary as he came on the radio to prepare him for the final lap.
As he rounded the penultimate corner, David briefly glanced up at the night sky and the Mercedes in his rear view mirror.

"Natalie..." he said out loud. "I'm going to need your help with this one!"
He rounded the final corner and onto the last lap of the race.
"Let's do it!"

David pushed the pedal all the way down as he went down the straight; the Mercedes was not far behind.
He took turns one and two, along with the wave-like turn three, with perfect precision.
The adrenaline coursed through his veins as he drove through the track.

The Mercedes of George Russell had managed to catch up on the straight exiting turn ten and tried to pass him. David got to turn 11 first and shut the door on him, maneuvering his car to block the Merc from passing.

"Just a little more Nat, just a little more..." David thought to himself.

George tried hard but it was ultimately not enough.
David was already starting to cry as he rounded the final turn and crossed the finish line.
He was world champion.

David, again, looked up at the sky.
"Thank you Nat..." he whispered.
Almost as if she had heard him, David felt a cold chill run throughout his body.
He smiled.
"Thank you."