ACT I

The Adventure Begins: Escape to Cera-Na!

Tavra was already halfway down the path by the time the silver glow of the moons was fading back into the misty skies. The dull burn of the sun began to peak over the edges of the mountains, casting bright pink reflections across the crestfallen snow, crackling under her swift feet as she glided forward.

Tavra was on the move again. These days she was always on the move. The life of the All-Maudra's second daughter had not only left her between the tireless duties of public appearances and trifling royal matters, but had bound her fate to the Vapran Citadel: the very same she was escaping now. These escapades were a way to rid herself from the ever growing shadow of her mothers' hand. Running, at least for a few precious moments, away from the life of a princess. The life of high blood. 

Just as she was making her way onto the stone path at the back of the citadel, a familiar voice called out from below her, seeming to come at first from the baron trees, until she noticed a dark green tunic flapping in the winds like a wild leaf. Without a second thought, she knew it was Onica. Her love, and today, her rescuer.

"Kat!" Onica whispered loudly. It was just enough so Tavra's sharp ears could catch it in the stirring morning winds. They both knew well that 'Kat', short for Katavra, was a name only they would recognize and could identify. Still, she hated being called by that name.

Tavra swung her head around and shifted direction, climbing over a short stone wall and making her way down a steep, snowy hill to where Onica was hiding behind a robust tree. When she finally reached her, frosted with fresh snow and kicking up power all around her, she grabbed onto a gnarled tree branch to stop herself. "Here I am!" she stated.

"Are you trying to get caught?" Onica barked. "You've kicked up so much snow, they'll think an avalanche is heading for town!" Her dark autumn hair was like winter fire as it caught the first rays of the rising suns, with big curls attached to sparkling jewels, and braids twisted with thin sail cloth. She was dressed in a long green formal tunic, too thin for the approaching winters of Ha'rar, and a wide hat of the same color, laced with trimmings of white fur.  Tavra thought they matched quite well. Although anything would go well with her traditional light purple garments and silver chains. The only part she was missing on this day were her royal braids, now a mess of windswept blonde tangles. Today she was free.

"I doubt that very much," Tavra returned, "you know most of this city sleeps until well past sunrise." She brushed the fresh snow from her legs. Onica smiled thoughtfully, but then her gaze shifted upwards, toward the spire of the citadel. 

"Not everyone." Onica stated, keeping her gaze on the highest windows. Tavra studied her face for a moment, then followed her eyes up to the top of the complex. Lights had appeared in the windows. People were beginning to stir. And not just anyone; her mother and her sisters. No doubt preparing for a day full of royal obligations, and soon, they would realize she was missing.

"Don't worry," Tavra assured, "they are far too busy with even themselves. We have time." She met Onica's eyes. They smiled at each other, until Tavra broke the silence again. "...And I wish you wouldn't call me that name!"

"What--Kat?" Onica wondered.

"Yes!"

"Well, I thought it was cute." Onica pled her case. 

Tavra shook her head, as a bit of snow dust fell around her face. "It makes me sound like a wild animal."

"Then it is more fitting than I had imagined!" Onica laughed heartily, then immediatly covered her mouth.