ACT VI

Ceremony Under the Stars! Beware the Night Raid!

When the sun disappeared below the line of land at last, the dark sky was cast in the brilliance of stars, set high above their heads like sparkling gems strewn across deep violet hues.  The commotion from the night's lively affairs of feasting and drinking had subsided, and although Tavra and Onica were quite ready to greet their new beds, Athyra ordered all of her crew above deck before they dispersed into the ship.

When they set foot on the splintered planks of the open deck once again, they were met with immediate stillness . It was not just the night air that was calm and breathless, but also the crew themselves. Stricken with silence, they ambled past in crossing patterns, and appeared to be preparing for some minor event in which the entire crew was to participate.

"Over here," Athyra said in a gruff whisper. "This way." She motioned Tavra and Onica toward a section of the outside railing that was molded into a small balcony which hung over the ocean. It was a tight fit, but all three managed to fit snugly. Tavra imagined this spot was normally reserved for only Athyra--a captain's perch. But now hosting special guests, she humbly made room for her new friends to remain at her side. A thoughtful gesture to be sure, and Tavra was sure to remember these moments well.

As Onica glanced around at the rest of the crew, she watched as every visible body gathered together, around the entire length of the deck. They stood shoulder to shoulder, casting distant eyes over the darkened sea, as some lit candles or passed flowers and bundled herbs. Onica was fascinated and curious. At any given moment, Athyra could surprise her with something completely unique and unseen. She had never imagined a Samaudren captain could teach a Fardreamer new things about her own people. And yet, the story was unfolding before her.

Careful not to raise her voice too high, Onica leaned toward Athyra to seek her answers. "Are you going to tell us what's going on? This is a bit unsettling."

Athyra smirked and pulled the hood of her cloak over her face, asserting a grim appearance which only caused Onica to become more uneasy. "Are you frightened already? On our first night at sea?"

Onica gestured at the crew around her. "Well, when my captain appears to be preparing for a funeral, you can imagine I might have some questions." She stated with as much humor as she could manage. 

"You have quite an imagination," Athyra smiled at her, then looked out over the ocean again. "And yet, you are not completely wrong."

 "Oh. Wonderful." Onica sighed, dreading her loss of ignorance. 

 "It must be a ceremony of some kind, correct?" Tavra interjected. 

"Indeed," Athyra acknowledged. "It is the Ceremony of Milk and Honey." 

"A tradition for your crew? I have never heard of it." Onica admitted. 

Athyra nodded. "Yes, it is ours. A ceremony born to honor the past," she explained. "The holy milk of the Nebrie, and honey harvested from Pineflower, which grows only underneath the waves of small islands near the deepest section of the seas." She held up a clay jug filled with Nebrie milk and shook it before them. Then she placed it on the ground, and reached into her cloak to reveal a vile of gelatinous amber liquid. She held it out to the light of the 3 moons at an angle, summoning a stunning aura which grew around the vile, giving a vibrant glow to the honey. 

Onica was captivated by this. "Pineflower honey! How magnificent. I have only seen it once when I was very young."

"Yes, it is very rare. And even harder to obtain," she slipped the vile into the sleeve of her cloak. "And it is precisely the reason we hold this ceremony. It is to honor the sea we sail on, and to honor those which she has taken from us." Athyra's black eyes quivered, her expression grew cold. "On our first night at sea, all of the Samaudren joins together to show our respect," she looked to Tavra and Onica. "And now, you will witness it. Feel privileged."