ACT XIV

"How?! How do we get out?" Tavra exclaimed, frantically surveying her surroundings for any source of escape.

"You better do something fast," Onica said with a shaky voice. "My charms are fading! Soon we'll have no light!" She held Nith's limp body closer to her and backed against the cold stone wall.

Athyra studied the giant gelatinous mass in front of her, giving the burnt flesh a few good punches to see how malleable the skin was. As she leaned to the side looking over the creature's head, she noticed a large opening between the flesh and the wall. "Here!" She shouted, waving the group over to her location. Tavra arrived first, making sure Onica and Nith were behind her, then she pressed her head against the wall to see what Athyra had discovered. Sure enough, the thin slit was barley large enough for one person to fit through, but at this point it was their only hope in a world of darkness. 

"How can we fit through?" Tavra asked with desperation rising in her voice. "The opening is too small!"

"For now!" Athyra replied confidently. She drew her sword--the worn silver blade reflecting in the dim glow of the charms--and held it in the air. With a mighty chop, she began hacking away at the creature's body, covering the group with musky slime. "Come on!" She commanded, beginning to work her way along the newly eviscerated flesh.

Athyra and Tavra took turns hacking and slashing their way through the charred mass, working their way along the side of the wall carefully as Onica tried to carry Nith as delicately as she could, taking methodical steps through the slush of entrails. Finally, after what seemed like ages, they came at last to the end of the massive caterpillar, and with a few more strong strikes, blasted their way through the other side. 

All three immediately collapsed to their knees as they emerged into the darkness of the cave again, breathing heavily and brushing sweat and white blood away from their soiled clothing. Although she was physically exhausted, Athyra refused to rest for long, and sprang to her feet once more. "Come--we cannot linger." She ordered hastily, striding forward through the cave without a second thought. But she was too late. With horror, the group suddenly realized the light of the charms was beginning to flicker out. Within seconds, all the light had faded, leaving them in the eternal black of the mountain's depths. "No!" Athyra yelped in a rare moment of desperation. Not often did she show her fear, but under this circumstance, she was very aware of their inescapable impending doom.

"What can we do?!" Tavra shouted into the darkness. She had lost site of everyone, and everything. She reached out to the wall beside her, attempting to find anything recognizable to calm her bewildered senses. 

For a long moment, the only sounds echoing through the cave were the labored grunts of the frightened group, staggering under the weight of their impossible situation. It seemed as though all was lost, and as the time grew longer, absent of conversation or comforting words, their minds reeled with the realization that this was the end of the journey; the end of their lives. But just then, another light began to emanate, cutting swiftly through the blackness like a newly lit candle. 

As Athyra and Tavra turned to find the source of the light, they realized with great surprise that it was Onica. Or rather, what Onica was holding. It was Nith. Not only were her extensive tattoos gleaming, but her entire body was aglow with bright purple light. So much so that her skin appeared luminescent, as if the light of the three moons was shinning from within her soul. Tavra took a step toward Onica and knelt beside her. "How..." was all she could manage to say, lost for a proper response. 

Onica held Nith away from her to gain a better perspective, studying her unusual glow. "It is a miracle," she breathed with amazement. "She is a miracle."