ACT XIII

Enter the City of Caterpillars! Nith's Magic Powers!

As the group slowly entered the giant mouth of the cave, immense darkness was immediate. Not only did the cavity rob them of what little sunlight there was, but the ancient shadows of this long forgotten place seemed to swallow them whole, welcoming them into the abyss, and casting the world around them into pure black. 

"Wait!" Nith called out from behind the group. She was struggling down the high rock structure she had climbed, now unable to find a sure grip on the way back down. "Hey, wait! I'm still up on this rock, you know!" she protested. 

Athyra glanced back at her with mild exasperation. "And there you will stay if you don't hurry!" She huffed and continued marching forward. When Nith finally freed herself of the rock, she swiftly darted into cave, and as the darkness suddenly hit her, she staled for a moment of hesitation, unsure of this abrupt decision she had made. The cool breath of the tunnel moved over her, sending a shiver through her skin that filled her with dread. "Come!" Athyra called. Mustering her last reserves of courage, Nith drew in a long breath and let go of her fear. When she was ready, she stood proud and strode forward again, yet keeping close behind her more talented friends. 

When the last slivers of light had vanished, Onica ignited special charms, which were no more than hand held orbs filled with fire bugs, but they worked perfectly to illuminate the path in front of them. Now drenched in new light, the group could clearly see this cave system was indeed strange. The mouth appeared to be the smallest opening, and as they wandered deeper, the tunnel only grew larger and more robust, as if it were a grand hallway leading into a royal domain. 

"Is it me, or is this cave getting...bigger?" Tavra questioned quietly, careful not to break the eerie silence.   

Athyra's eyes darted across the walls, studying every inch of their surroundings for any signs of danger. "It is," she stated. "This is leading us somewhere."  

"Any idea where?" Onica asked. 

Athyra motioned to her and smiled. "That's your question, far dreamer."

Onica sighed. "You wouldn't turn around no matter what I say."

"Now you're understanding!" Athyra nodded to her and quickened her pace. 

Onica shook her head, accepting Athyra's solid demeanor. "I just hope this isn't someone's home," she remarked. 

"What makes you think that?" Nith chimed in.

Onica looked to her. "Well, wasn't it Athyra who said there are monsters out here? Things we can't even imagine--or something like that."

Athyra stopped and turned to Onica, placing her hand against the wall. "That was for creatures of the sea, my dear Onica. Here, even I cannot say what may lie beyond."

Onica's face drooped with dread. "That's even scarier."

"That's exciting!" Nith proclaimed as she skipped past her. 

"Weren't you just worried a minute ago?" Onica said, noticing her sudden change in emotion.

Nith waved at her dismissively. "Not anymore--let's go!" Now it was Nith who ran ahead of the group. Before journeying too far, she stopped and spun toward her friends once more. "Just remember to stay close to me!" She ordered. Unaffected by the darkness and swelling with happiness from her newfound sense of adventure, Nith bounded forward as far as the light could see, soon rounding a corner which led into a small, narrow passageway.