ACT XII

Quest of the Ancients: The Secret Stone Garden!

The haunting vison of the map's location rushed through Onica's mind like wildfire. One idea catching the next ablaze, molding her dreams into a stark reality, until she could bear the sight of it no more. Indeed this quest had proved dangerous, and this was a notion she was slowly beginning to adhere to. But now, visions she had once so pleasantly slept away each morning stared her directly in the eyes. Eyes she now so desperately wished to keep closed. 

As the others looked on in wonder, Onica lifted a hand to the map as if she were about to continue her thoughts, but then abruptly shifted her body and walked toward the doorway. Tavra watched her leave, remaining hesitant and unclear of what to do next, debating if this was a time her mate needed company, or wished to remain alone. "Onica..." she called to her weakly, as if her throat had stopped her voice.  

"It's okay," Athyra folded her arms and watched her leave. "I told her some parts of this would not be easy."

Tavra looked to her. "You knew this was going to happen?"

"Call it a theory," Athyra replied, returning her gaze to the map. 

"Sounds like experience to me."

Athyra turned to Tavra slowly. "Onica is still a young fardreamer, Tavra. Not in age, but experience. I am certain she can hear the voice of Thra. I am certain she calls to it. But this may be the first time Thra has ever shouted back." Her eyes narrowed stoically. Before Tavra could conjure a thought, she was already on to her next thought. "Go to her. This is when she will need your company the most." She turned her back to Tavra and leaned over the map, as Nith watched on patiently.

Tavra's mind buzzed with questions. Too many to comprehend. Yet, she knew Athyra was not the person to pin them down for her. As silence fell over the room again, Tavra marched out and down the hall, making her way back to their quarters on the other side of the ship.

When Tavra arrived at the front of the door, she found it was already open. A small slit of sunlight flickered wildly from the top of the frame to the floor. She slid her fingers through the opening and slowly pushed the door open just enough so she could fit through. As she stepped inside the dim space, she immediately spotted Onica sitting on a small padded bench by one of the porthole windows, staring out over the waves in deep thought. For a moment, Tavra was unclear if she had even noticed her coming in, until Onica shifted her eyes toward the doorway, a weak smile on her face.

"Still leaving the door open for me?" Tavra said, waiting by the door for a moment.

Onica's smile widened. "I guess it's a habit now," she wiped a stray tear from her lash. "You started that."

Tavra chuckled softly and began to walk toward her. "I guess I did. I used to leave the storeroom door open for you, right?"

Onica sighed happily, fidgeting with her hands. "Sneaking into the palace was always so much fun." Tavra quickly sat down beside her and placed Onica's hands in hers, calming her potent anxiety with a soft, yet firm and unwavering touch. "Why can't this be fun?" She asked honestly.

Tavra studied her glistening eyes and trembling lips. "Is that honestly what you were expecting?"       

"I..." she looked out over the ocean again. "I'm not sure what I was expecting. Now I'm not sure why I even came."

"But you are sure," Tavra cleared stray hairs away from her face, then placed two fingers under her chin, beckoning Onica's gaze to stay locked with hers. "What made you set foot on this ship again?"