Shourtney - It's Okay

Shayne's POV:

I check my watch for the third time in five minutes. It's cold out and I'm not wearing a jacket which I'm now regretting. Actually what I'm regretting is standing outside this restaurant for forty-five minutes waiting for Courtney. We get dinner together once a week to just talk, discuss work, family, etc. It started out as a once a month thing, completely casual, just two friends hanging out, but slowly morphed into every week, and more of a date feel. I mean, it hasn't been said out loud that it's a date... actually, we haven't discussed anything romantic between us even though it's definitely there, but we're both just too nervous to say anything. But still, it's basically a date.

I suddenly get the idea to go onto Snapchat and check maps to see where Courtney is.

Seen five minutes ago, at the office.

I sigh and go back to my car. I drive through the dark and crowded streets of LA, filled with young adults ready to get black out drunk, all the way back to the office to see only Courtney's car and the custodian's car in the parking lot. I park next to Courtney's and go into the office. I make it to the third floor and see Courtney sitting at her desk with heaphones on. I slowly walk up to her, wondering when she'll notice me.

Courtney finally looks up and her eyes go wide. She quickly takes off her headphones and stands up.

"I am so sorry!" She begins, "We had plans! We were going to get dinner and I completely forgot! Oh Shayne I'm so sorry!"

I shake my head and smile at the ground, "It's okay, I just-"

"No, no it's not okay! We had plans and I stood you up! And you know what? I was so excited about it. I was looking forward to dinner with you all week because it's been such a long week and I've had so much on the go and I've been so stressed out lately. Which is no excuse by the way because we made plans and I should've been there."

I take a few steps towards her so we're now only about a foot apart, "Really Courtney, it's oka-"

"Oh gosh I'm so sorry, Shayne. I just feel so overwhelmed because I got a crap ton of work handed to me today and I said I could do it but I can't!" Courtney's eyes start to glass over with tears which I can tell she's trying to fight back by blinking a few times, "I- I feel like I'm going to burst which I apparently am doing right now because I just can't handle everything right now!" The tears finally spill out and she quickly wipes them away but more flow down her cheeks immediately, "And you probably think I'm crazy right now because I'm crying and I shouldn't be crying like, why am I crying? I'm so sorry. For everything. For not showing up and then telling you all this stuff which really doesn't concern you, I-" Her chin falls to her chest and she puts both her hands over her face in defeat.

I gently grab both her wrists and pull her hands away from her face. She looks up at me with red eyes and I let go of her wrists and pull her into a hug, wrapping my arms around her shoulders. She quickly hugs my waist and rests her head on my shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay." I say in a hushed voice.

"I just got so caught up in work and I missed our date, I'm sorry." She says in a shaky voice. I smile slightly at the fact she said 'date'.

"I don't care about our date, Courtney. I don't care about the time, the place, whatever. I care about you." I say and Courtney squeezes me a little tighter but doesn't say anything so I continue, "Whenever you feel overwhelmed like this I want you tell me, okay? Let me take some stuff off your plate, let me help."

"But I- I don't wanna add to your workload and then stress you out."

I move one of my hands up to the back of her head and smooth out her hair, "If I'm too busy, I'll tell you. But trust me, I really don't think I'll ever be too busy for you."

She nods slightly and we stand there for a few moments not saying anything, just enjoying each others embrace, the shoulder of my shirt slowly dampening with her tears.

Courtney pulls away and wipes some of her tears off her face, "Thank you..." She whispers, not looking me in the eye, "I am really sorry though. I should've been there, despite being busy. We had plans, you don't just... not show up when you have plans. Did you wanna go now? Or reschedule?"

She looks up at me and I shake my head, giving her a small smile, "What are you working on?" I ask and sit down infront of her laptop.

A smile spreads across her face and she quickly sits down next to me. She shows me the script she's been assigned to work on and I scoot closer to her, resting my hand on her thigh.

After about an hour of working on the script and seeing Courtney's face light up whenever she likes an idea and frantically writes it down, I decide we should go home because it's getting quite late, "Alright Court, we should probably head home so the custodian can lock up."

Courtney yawns and leans into me. I put my arm around her shoulder and she sighs, "Yeah... Do you think we got enough done?"

"Yes. And I think it's great so far." I reply.

"Thank you for you help."

"Anytime." I kiss her on the forehead and she hums contently.

-

(A/N: Hi! I wrote this one-shot because the other day I ranted to one of my friends about something and the first thing he replies with was just "Hey it's okay." and I instantly felt better. It was three words and yet it helped so much. So yeah, that's what this based off of and maybe I'm the only one that gets that but here we are. I hope you enjoyed this one-shot and once again if you have any requests for one-shots you want to see, feel free to comment them or message me. Have a good day! <3)