Favorite Son [4]

"You saw the look on Cutter's face when he saw that photo," Maya told Lucifer as they sat in her car. "He knows exactly who robbed the docks. He's gonna need to deal with this immediately,"

"Or it puts his plan to re-brand in jeopardy," Lucifer agreed.

"Defying his orders...it's a huge challenge to his authority. He's not gonna want to deal with this in public. Bet you the first person he goes to see is the owner of that bracelet,"

"What, o your strategy is just to sit here, paralyzed, hoping that Cutter leads us to the suspect? What a terrible idea. What happened to the Winchester that kicked down doors?"

Maya rolled her eyes.

"I mean, for one, even though Cutter's no brain surgeon, surely he wouldn't just..." Lucifer looked towards where Maya was watching Cutter argue on the phone.

"Wouldn't what?" Maya teased with a smirk as she started the car.

"Well done, Winchester,"

***

"This is the longest I've sat in a parked car and not had sex," Lucifer complained as he and Maya sat in her car outside where they had followed Cutter too.

"Ew," Maya laughed.

Lucifer glanced over at Maya "You can't enjoy this. This sitting around endlessly, waiting for something to happen,"

"You know, if sitting here not being entertained is so terrible, then maybe it's a sign you should be somewhere else,"

"Have I done something to offend you?"

Maya looked over at him "You want me to go down that list?"

"Ha, ha, ha." Lucifer laughed sarcastically ": No, this is different,"

Maya sighed and turned to face him in her seat "For the first time, I don't think you're being honest with me. You have this mysterious container that was stolen that someone was willing to kill for. You make shady deals with shady people. You're violent. And I..." she shook her head and looked back out the window to watch Cutter pace.

"And you what?" Lucifer asked "Come on Winchester, you can't leave me hanging,"

"I...I like working with you," Maya admitted.

Lucifer's look softened and Maya turned back towards the exterior of the car "What a momentous revelation, Winchester. We should celebrate,"

Maya remained silent, she glanced down when she felt Lucifer's hand on top of mine.

"I have never lied to you. And I will never lie to you,"

Before Maya could utter another word, they heard another motorcycle approach where Cutter had parked.

"Here we go," Maya said. She shook her head when she saw the other person "I knew it was gonna be that Renny guy,"

Lucifer's gaze hardened when shots were fired.

"Dammit..." Maya muttered as she took out her cell and dialed 911 "Shots fired at 21st and Lewis. We need backup and an ambo, now." Maya hung up before questions could be asked and looked over at Lucifer "You want the Winchester to come out?" she knew she was taking a risk, but she understood how dangerous supernatural artifacts could be in the wrong hands. "Then buckle up and hang on," Maya drove the car after Renny's motorcycle.

They continued driving until Renny stopped in front of a building, when he saw Maya's car he ran inside.

"Stay here," Lucifer told Maya.

"The hell I am," Maya told him. "You're not invincible anymore, Lucifer. You need backup,"

Lucifer nodded and Maya led the way into the building, sparks flew as shots were fired. Lucifer moved Maya away from the bullets and they crouched down behind some cover "Bloody mortality," he glanced up when Maya got up "What are you doing?!" Lucifer hissed.

"He's out of rounds. I counted the shots," Maya told him.

Maya's theory proven by the click of the gun and Renny's angry shout of frustration.

"Been a while since I had a good hunt." Lucifer called out to Renny as they followed him to a set of stairs as he struggled to get a door open "That tingling sensation running up your spine...inevitability. And the bit running down your leg? Fear."

They continued to follow Renny up to the roof, Lucifer kicking the door down.

"Now...you give me what is mine," Lucifer told him.

"Wasn't my idea, I swear." Renny pleaded "He didn't tell me what was in the container. But I looked. I saw them,"

Maya looked over at Lucifer and saw his eyes flash a familiar red.

"Who stole them?" Lucifer demanded.

"Oh, God..." Renny said as he fell backward "Oh, God..."

"Who...stole them?"

"They were yours." Renny realized.

"Who stole them?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry,"

Lucifer knelt in front of Renny "Oh...you are gonna be more than sorry unless you tell me everything,"

"Please. Please, don't..."

Lucifer revealed his Devil form causing Renny to scream.

"No! No!"

"No! Don't!" Maya screamed as Renny ran off the building. She took a step back once she saw the body lying on the ground below, a pool of blood already forming. Maya stopped when she saw Decker behind us "Balls,"