Sweet Kicks

"She snuck out of the house." A woman explained tearfully "I thought she was asleep,"

"Mrs. Cortez, we'll find who caused your daughter's death." Chloe assured "I promise you,"

Chloe glanced back at Maya as she had remained silent during the whole interview. "You okay?"

"Her only child was trampled to death after someone fired into a crowd." Maya sighed furiously "I've been better." She glanced over and saw Chloe's ex come over "and it just got worse,"

"Gang Unit's piggybacking Homicide till we can figure out who wanted Benny Choi dead," Dan explained.

"Is he talking?" Chloe questioned.

Dan shook his head "Clammed up as soon as we got to the crime scene,"

Chloe sighed "Okay,"

"It could get bloody," Dan said as he followed the two females through the precinct. "You should probably stay as safe as possible on this one,"

Maya couldn't help but scoff...if they only knew her past, they'd know that she's been through much worse than trampled victims.

Dan glanced back at Maya, so she quickly covered up.

"Oh, yeah? Stick to the nice girly murders?" Maya asked sarcastically.

"It just seems that every time I turn around, your partner's in another shootout with her buddy Lucifer by her side," Dan argued.

Maya rolled her eyes.

Chloe glanced back at Maya and she felt hurt that Chloe's ex was actually getting through to her.

"It's not an issue," Maya argued.

The two gave Maya a look.

"Don't worry, Lucifer Morning star is completely out of my life,"

Dan pointed behind Maya "Right,"

Maya closed her eyes before turning around, hoping that by some miracle that when she opened them he wouldn't be there...but what can she say, Chuck's never been on her side...why start now?

"And he's sitting on your desk," Chloe pointed out.

"I see that thank you Chlo," Maya said as she walked over to where Lucifer was.

"Get out of that one," Lucifer teased the female officer he had just handcuffed.

"Please tell me I'm hallucinating,"

"Well, I am dreamy, but try to contain yourself,"

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm not actually here to see you. I've come to talk to your boss," Lucifer rubbed his leg where the bullet grazed him "About a shooting,"

"I thought you said I didn't owe you anything?! If the department finds out what really happened, I could lose my badge,"

"Yes and then you'd be free...come on I've seen it in your eyes. The hunter side of you is dying to come out and break some rules,"

Maya glared at him until her Lieutenant came out of her office.

"Mr. Morningstar?" Lieutenant Olivia called out, she pointed inside her office "I can see you now,"

"Splendid!" Lucifer turned back towards Maya with his devilish smile "Splendid. We've so much to discuss," he limped into the Lieutenant's office and waved at Maya through the window.

"You good?" Chloe asked as she walked over after the whole debacle.

"Fine..." Maya growled, "why do you ask?"

"Cause you just snapped your pencil in half,"

Maya glanced down to see Chloe was indeed correct, Maya sighed as she threw the remnants into the garbage can, holding her head in her hands "shit,"

***

Maya quickly acted busy when the Lieutenant's door opened back up.

"Thank you so much," The Lieutenant told Lucifer.

Maya stood up when they walked over to her desk.

"Detective Smith, you better explain why you have been keeping such a valuable resource all to yourself," The Lieutenant said.

Maya looked between Lucifer and the Lieutenant in confusion "Excuse me?"

"We have someone who can make Benny Choli talk,"

"Someone with charm, likeability..." Lucifer gloated.

"And has real ties to the community,"

Maya nodded but in her head, she was saying "Dear God, don't say it,"

"Lucifer Morningstar has volunteered to act as a liaison in the Paola Cortez case," The Lieutenant handed the file to Maya "You're welcome, Smith,"

Maya was afraid to look back, but did anyway and noticed Chloe's look of fury, all she could do was shrug in defeat. Maya looked back over to talk to Lucifer only to see him getting a massage from another female officer. "First my brothers...now me. The devil's gonna totally get me killed,"