Chapter 57 -The Long Haul

Chapter 57- THE LONG HAUL

After Grace dropped Bailey off, they headed for Evan's house to give his wounded ankle a break. Grace and Evan had become almost inseparable by this point. It almost seemed like in some strange way "the incident" as they had been calling it had brought them closer together. It was as though they'd been a couple all along. Evan was Grace's dream come true. And he clearly had eyes only for Grace.

 Grace pulled her hair into a scrunchie when she parked the Rubicon in the Vaughn's driveway. She had loose strands of hair that looked much like spun gold from the ocean breeze whipping through it. Evan smiled as he leaned in for a kiss, but came to a halt when one of his crutches poked him in the abdomen abruptly. He sucked in his breath as Grace let out a laugh. He clutched his middle, feigning injury. She swatted his arm and made a face.

"Don't start that with me. You have enough going on as it is. Besides, you're fine and you know it. That ankle's another story. Do you need another painkiller?" she asked with concern. She lowered her eyes to the unattractive Velcro boot.

"Nah. I think I'll be okay for a little while. I could probably use some ice, though. Ya wanna come in keep me company for a bit? We can chill out and get that takeout you passed on at Bailey's."

 Grace nodded slowly. She could feel her appetite slowly return once her nerves had settled. She wondered if Justine and Steve had eaten already.

"We can do that. We could see if your parents have made dinner already. Maybe they could join us?"

 She opened the door and grabbed her cell phone and her bag. Evan attempted to get out of the Jeep on his own, but still required a bit of assistance from Grace. She instructed him to lean on her once again as he slid off of the leather passenger seat. She leaned in and grabbed his crutches and Evan gave her backside a tiny pinch.

 Grace squealed and whipped around on a dime.

"Watch it, Mister. I am armed." she warned. She pointed one of his crutches at him like a sword and swung it in small circles toward his face.

 Evan encouraged her playful retort. He slid the other crutch from under her arm, and in moments, they were in a full-on sword fight. He didn't dare use all of his strength for fear of hurting Grace. Though she seemed to enjoy the banter. Justine Vaughn opened the front door and appeared with a large watering can. She took one look at Evan and Grace and and tried to suppress her laughter.

"Evan, what on Earth are you doing to Grace? As long as she is on this turf, she remains our guest. Grace, feel free to torture him as you like. Get a jab in for me, will you?" she taunted with arched eyebrows.

 Grace lit up at the prospect and Evan placed a hand in front of her.

"Hey. Easy. I'm injured, remember?" he teased. Grace rolled her eyes.

"Convenient. Are you conceding?" she dared, as Evan grabbed her from the waist. He lifted her over a shoulder and she smacked his back with both hands. Steve Vaughn joined his wife on the porch, and shook his head as his wife watered the hot-pink Pentas that hung from each basket along the railing.

"Looks like someone finally met his match." he observed and his wife set the watering can down for a moment. She leaned into her husband and rested her hand upon his shoulder.

"Mmm-hmm. That, he has. Think we're in trouble?" she asked with a trace of concern.

 Evan set Grace back upon the paved driveway and held onto her for another moment. She wrapped her arms around him and pecked his lips. He pulled her closer and kissed her again, this time longer than before. His mouth was salty and moist, much like the salt air on that muggy fall day. He tasted like heaven. Grace finally pulled away and looked briefly at the Vaughn's before helping Evan to the steps with his crutches. He spoke softly to her in a muffled voice that only Grace could hear.

 Steve looked at his wife. "She has a mother and a father. Why don't we just let them worry about it?" she said with a shrug. He handed his wife the watering can and proceeded to follow her across the front porch in a discussion about pressure-washing before the weather turned cooler.

 When Evan and Grace reached the front door, he paused and opened it for her. She thanked him and wiped her tie-dyed Vans on the "Welcome" mat before stepping inside. Evan craned his neck as he spoke to his parents.

"Mom? Dad? Have you guys eaten? We're thinking of ordering a couple of subs and watching a movie. Something terrifying, yet death-defying. Are you in?" he called. Justine stopped talking for a moment and popped her head around the corner.

"Sounds good, Sweetie. We'll be inside in just a few." Evan nodded and disappeared when his mother called his name. He returned to the porch.

"Evan, your dad and I think the world of Grace already. She's so sweet and has been such a Godsend. Promise me you won't ever break her heart, okay? She's not like the others." Justine stared into her own eyes with sincerity and awaited his response.

"I know, Mom. I'm not a creep. I promise I won't ever break her heart." he placed a hand over his chest before he went into the house to place their dinner order. "I can't promise that she won't ever break mine, though." and on that note, he was gone.

 Justine watched her son vanish and she returned to her plants in disbelief.

 Evan was in love.

 Grace stood in the hallway, phone in one hand and a small, paper menu in the other. She was examining the choices intently as Evan came up behind her and leaned over her shoulder. Grace held the menu between her thumb and her index finger and she extended her hand toward his cheek. She grazed his soft skin with the back of her knuckles and Evan closed his eyes.

"Evan?" she whispered and his eyes immediately flipped open.

"Huh?" he answered, as she continued to caress his cheek.

"I promise never to break your heart." she said and turned to face him directly.

"Eavesdropper" he said with a smirk and she leaned into his chest for a hug. He wrapped his arms around her and planted a kiss on top of her strawberry head. "I'm hungry. What are we having?" he tried to change the subject and Grace lifted her head toward his.

"Excuse me? Do you have something you'd like to add?" she placed her hand on her hip.

 He laughed when she waved the menu in his face. He grabbed her by the wrists and pulled the menu out of her hand. "I promise I will never break your heart either, Red." he declared. He locked her into his gaze and Grace somehow knew in that moment that he would keep his promise. Evan was a keeper. Grace had felt it from the start. She knew that her future was his future and that he had been worth the long wait.

 Evan was in this relationship for the long haul. And Grace was right along side him for the ride.

"Smoked turkey and cheese. Lettuce, tomato and mayo. Extra pickles." Grace added, and she shoved her cell phone into the palm of his hand while staring into his hungry, honey-rimmed eyes.