Chapter 31- Famous Last Words

Chapter 31 -FAMOUS LAST WORDS

The FHS cheer squad blew the Bulldogs completely out of the water. Jess was such a petite flyer, they were able to twist her around like a pretzel! They finished their routine with a very difficult, but very precise move.

The bases flipped her up and around into a liberty, followed by a tik-tok and a back-tuck basket which rotated her slim body, landing her flat on her feet.

The squad threw their pom-poms into the air, beaming with pride.

Nailed it!

Screams came from the bleachers and the concession stand and Grace picked Joey up and let him holler for Bailey a few times to show their support. He was in his glory.

The last half of the game was extremely intense. Chase seemed to keep up his momentum with the opposing team. Evan was close second, but losing steam from the defensive players on the Bulldogs' side.

There was no chance he'd back down from their main rivals at this point.

FHS scored another two goals and one assist thanks to Evan, Chase and Ryan. The score was 6-3. While the sun kept the field in mint condition for the afternoon game, the groundskeepers left a few small ruts in the turf.

If a player didn't have his eyes on the ground at all times, it would be easy for their cleats to catch and create mass chaos.

Unfortunately for Evan, that was exactly what happened fifteen minutes into the last half of the game. When the whistle blew, he tore down the right side of the field, then backed up to defend the team from the opposing wingers and center fielder.

When he turned the ball back around, he passed the ball to Chase, who dribbled it downfield toward the side line. Evan twisted his ankle in a rut that he was caught in, and when Gavin assisted Chase in yet another goal, he realized he was in deep trouble.

"FUCK!" he winced through clenched teeth and immediately dropped down to one knee. The whistle blew for a "time-out". Chase darted to his friend and Coach Fullman quickly followed. Evan was dripping with sweat.

Despite the inches between them, Chase disregarded Fullman.

"You alright, man?" Chase said gingerly, but he knew that Evan was tough and had to be injured. Coach Fullman knelt down and assessed the situation. Evan tried to keep his cool with him, but he was in excruciating pain!

"I rolled my ankle when I turned the ball around. I think my cleat got caught in a divot. SHIT! "

Coach ordered Ryan to bring a towel and some ice for his wound. Grace flew down from the bleachers before anyone could stop her.

Bailey searched for her in the crowd.

Fullman touched Evan's swollen ankle which he jerked instinctively. He wrapped the cloth with another and told Evan to "ice it down" for a few minutes. He nodded in agreement while Chase sat beside him.

The game would either be called or they would be forced to play it out. Either way, Evan was too incapacitated to participate in the last quarter of the game.

In another couple of minutes, Gavin and Ryan helped move Evan to the sidelines, where he sat in a rusty, red, portable soccer chair. They were able to have one of the spectators who was a Physician's Assistant examine his injury.

He assured Evan and Coach Fullman that is was either a sprain or badly bruised and twisted, but not fractured. Grace and Bailey stood behind him and Grace kept her hand on his shoulder for security.