Chapter 22- Cupcakes for Cherubs

CHAPTER 22- CUPCAKES FOR CHERUBS

Grace's dad and Joey barreled through the door of the garage with pizzas, breadsticks, and another two-liter bottle of soda. Joey almost tripped from running so fast into the kitchen.

"Mom! Dad let me pick Code Red to go with our pizza!", he said as his Nike's came to a screeching halt.

 Evan was sitting at the island on a bar stool beside Grace. Her father set down the pizzas and looked at Evan with a smile. He immediately reeled his son in.

"Joey. Calm down, Guy. You don't want to scare our company off, do you?" Evan stood tall and walked toward Grace's father. He extended his hand and looked him straight in the eye.

"Mr. Hannity. It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm Evan Vaughn." The two shook hands.

"Evan, so glad to meet you, too. Joe Hannity. This is our son, Joey. Joey, come over and say 'hi' to Evan."

 He looked at Joey as he walked over to him with his head bowed down. It was really more of a death march. Evan laughed out loud. Joey cracked a trace of a smile.

"No need to be shy, Joey. It's nice to meet you! Your sister talks about you all the time. I hear you play soccer?" He shook Joey's hand, which was warm and sweaty, as was the outline of his hair.

 He looked like Grace, but had brown hair. His nose was scattered with freckles. He was tall for ten. And very energetic, just as Grace had described.

"Hi." Joey mustered up the courage to look Evan in the eye. "Yeah, I play soccer."

"Well, I hear you've played for five years now? That makes you kind of a big deal. You're like a pro now! Do you want to practice some drills after we eat our pizza?"

 He looked at Joey with a grin.

 Joey's face lit up instantly. It was as though someone had just informed him it was Christmas.

"Wow. Cool. I've never played with someone old. Well, I mean, except my dad. But he sucks!"

 Grace's father rolled his eyes.

"Thanks, Buddy. I can always count on you to boost my confidence." Grace's mom smirked at her son's comment.

"Joey, go and wash up for dinner. You two can get to know each other over your pizza. But first, the hands." She pointed toward the bathroom.

 Joey sulked his way through the door, and quickly washed his hands. Grace's mom poured him a small glass of soda on ice and set it on the table.

"Would anyone else care for some Code 'I'll be up until three a.m.?' Evan?" They laughed and Evan shook his head in agreement while she poured him a glass.

"No doubt. We chug that stuff before a big game to give us an energy boost. Don't worry. I'll wear him out for you after dinner. I did some mean three-goal drills today and I can show him the ropes. It will improve his speed. Though, I'm not exactly sure he needs that right now!"

"Oh, Evan, my only regret in this life is that Joey wasn't a twin." She replied sarcastically, and placed a hand over her forehead.

 Grace joined in with a groan. The thought in itself was exhausting.

 Evan laughed as he took an empty plate and held it in front of the pizza box. "Who's having pepperoni?" Grace raised her hand.

 He handed her a plate and picked up another. "Mrs. Hannity, what will it be? Cheese or pepperoni?" He smiled at her, as he took the initiative of serving her a plate.