Chapter Seven- Versace Girl

CHAPTER SEVEN- VERSACE GIRL

Chase and Evan hit the locker room after practice while the rest of the team cleaned up the field. Each player had his fill of Coach Fullman for the day and Chase desperately needed to vent to someone who understood him.

Evan could see he was wound so tight, that he might actually snap after such a grueling practice. He kept up with his giant steps and noticed the strained expression on his face.

"You okay, Bro?" He asked him, as they opened up their lockers and grabbed their street clothes.

"I don't know. Something's kind of bugging me about Carson, Man. Have you noticed that she's been kind of... flip lately?"

 Chase sat on a bench and unlaced his cleats. Evan towel-dried the sweat out of his hair. He shook his bangs out of his eyes. He chewed on his lower lip for a minute.

Finally, he answered him.

"I think she looks for reasons to pick a fight. To win. I don't know that it's a change for Carson. You know how she is. She's willful." said Evan.

"Yeah, I know. I feel like I know her better than anyone does. Even her freakin' parents. That's the thing. Four or five months ago, it was as though I was seeing someone else. It's like she's totally removing herself from the relationship. She seems so distant lately. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much into it."

  He peeled his shirt off and kicked off his cleats. He grabbed a towel for the shower.

"No, I think you should trust your gut. If something's off, then it's off. Have you talked to her?"

 Chase looked down for a second. He seemed to be weighing his words.

"I asked her if her parents being gone all the time was getting to her, but she just made light of it. She said they're never home anymore. That she's used to being invisible. That was the word she used. You don't think she's having second thoughts about this thing with me, do you?"

"Nah, Man. No way. Have you been gettin' any lately?" Chase laughed out loud at his friend's probing question.

"Dude. What the fuck?" Chase said, as though Evan had lost his mind.

"Look, I'm just asking is all. When they stop giving it to you, there's only two reasons why:

1. They ain't into you anymore

OR

2. They're banging some other guy.

So...?" He looked at Chase, as if the answer was inscribed on his forehead.

"Gettin' some action. Well, not as much action as usual. We'll leave it at that. I haven't been cut off or anything. SATISFIED?" He snapped at Evan.

He knew he was being touchy.

"Hey, look. You asked, right? I don't care about your sex life. I'd much rather focus on one of my own. You want answers, and I'm trying to offer you some. That's all."

 He looked at Chase. His eyes grew wide and he tilted his head. "Uh-uh", thought Evan.

"You don't think I had something to do with this, do you?" Evan asked. He almost looked stung.

"Well, now that you've brought it up, do you?" Chase paused a minute and then Evan shot back at him.

"NO, I'm not giving it to your girl. Man, what's with you? We've been friends for seven years. Since sixth grade! You know that's not how I roll. I'd never even..." He stopped himself.