Angel

Crow came to town for the weekend. He was staying at a friend's house since June's aunt said no boys (their mom was on a business trip).

  He walked into the cafè for the millionth time in his life. He wanted to get there early so he could prepare. June told him where Xavier usually sat so Crow could get there first. 

  Crow ordered a mocha and scrolled through his phone, the buzz of voices around him becoming more and more distant as he began focusing more and more on the illuminated screen. His focus returned to the cafè when a pen hit him in the face. 

  Crow raised his head and made eye contact with Xavier, who was standing opposite of where he was sitting. They looked at eachother unblinkingly for a few seconds before Xavier bent down to retrieve his marker. Crow had assumed Xavier's stare was a sign of aggression, but when he straightened up Crow noticed that Xavier wasn't upset, just flustered.

  "Sorry. You didn't seem to hear me and I didn't wanna touch you in case it made you uncomfortable," If it wasn't clear Xavier was nervous before, it was now. He was stumbling over his words. Eventually it became hard for Crow to watch, which is when he said

  "Would you like to join me?"

  Xavier nodded and sat down. 

  "Hi," Xavier muttered

  "Hi," Crow said, taking note of the fact that this boy was being uncharacteristically shy.

  They didn't speak for a bit. Xavier looked at his phone and Crow looked at him.

  Crow couldn't help but notice how attractive Xavier was. He was a mix between cute and hot. Crow admired his outfit. A black sweatshirt, worn jeans, square framed glasses, and a mahogany red beanie. He also had a jacket thrown over the back of his chair. He was beginning to fluster Crow, not that Crow would ever tell him. 

  Minutes ticked by silently until

  "You're staring at me." Xavier didn't look up from his phone when he spoke. 

  Crow leaned on the black wooden table confidently.

  "It's just, I never caught your name."

  Xavier looked up. "I didn't throw it."

  Crow put his hand to his chest. "Ouch, pretty boy. That hurt."

  A small smile spread across Xavier's face, which he raised a hand to cover. He rested his chin on his palm and covered his mouth the best he could using his fingers. Crow was a little disappointed, he already loved Xavier's smile. He did however like Xavier's white fingerless gloves.

  "I'm Crow. I use he pronouns," Crow extended a hand for a handshake.

  "It's nice to meet y-" Xavier had gone to shake his hand but Crow had pulled back. 

  "Fiiiiiine" Crow laughed at Xavier's tone. "My name is Xavier and I also use he pronouns, but you already knew that."

  That last part had taken Crow by surprise.

  "What do you mean?" 

  "You said pretty boy, so I'm guessing you already knew I identified as male. Either that or you guessed."

  "Oh yeah. I spoke to someone about you. Sorry," Crow's face flushed.

  "Don't apologize," Xavier leaned back in his chair, "It wasn't half as creepy as you think it was. Kinda cute," Xavier had lowered his voice at that last part, but it was clear he had meant for Crow to hear it.

  "Can I call you X?"

  "Rather you didn't."

  "Emo?"

  "No."

  "How bout I stick with pretty boy?"

  ".....I wouldn't totally hate that..."

  "Then it's settled, I-"

  "Hold on," Xavier raised his hands in a 'stop motion. "What do I call you?"

  Crow shrugged.

  "Angel?" Xavier offered, smirking.

  "Angel?"

  "Don't act like someone as cute as you haven't gotten that one before."

  20 minutes, 5 detailed conversations and 2 mochas later Crow's phone rang. 

  Crow looked at it. "I have to start heading back."

  "Hey I could walk you home if you wanted."

  "Oh that's okay you don't have too."

  Xavier looked at him. "Do you not want me too? It's okay, I just want you to be honest."

  "Honestly I'd like it if you did but you don't have too."

  Xavier was already pulling on his oversized jean jacket.