Cheesy Lunch Date

Xavier’s classes started again a few days later, his first few in the morning back to back and then one after lunch and a final one at around four or five. He finished his second morning class and filed out a big grey door to the front lawn. One of his friends whispered something he didn’t catch and pointed over to a bench. June looked up at the sound of the incessant chatter from the other kids, lounging on the wooden seat with headphones in. 

  Xavier and his friends approached where June was sitting as she smiled at them. His strawberry blonde hair was curled with matching coloured spider eyelashes that they batted happily at Xavier. She had a big sweater with blocks of white, grey, and blue and jeans with small vertical stripes in matching colours. 

  "What're you doing here?" 

  "Do you have a class right now?" 

  Xavier checked the time on his phone. "No, I'm free for almost 2 hours, why?" 

  "I was gonna take you on a lunch date, unless you guys have plans." 

  "No, we've got nothing. Actually Bel has a class in 30 minutes." 

  "Then it's a date, now who the hell are these people?" 

  Both of Xavier's friends stood behind him. One was a shorter Indian girl with rich magenta hair and a pink bindi. She wore colourful lovecore sweatpants with a tank top and a crocheted cardigan. June admired her pretty eye makeup and glossy, heart shaped lipstick that faded from pink to orange on the corners.

  The other was a taller white person, maybe about Cecil's height, with messy grey hair that had chunks and pieces of neon colours. There were 2 strips of hair on top of their head curled up into devil horns. They had a baggy hoodie with an eyeball on the front and a pocket chain with small ceramic teeth. Over their scarf, June could see a Leviathan cross tattoo on their neck. 

  Xavier introduced them in that order. "This one is Belvedere, she/her, and that one's Azazel, they/them. You two, this is my partner, June, who uses any pronouns." 

  Azazel gave him a polite but awkward smile. Bel accidentally shook June's hand, neither realizing what happened to cause this. Both of them laughed and exchanged compliments on make up, hair, and clothes. 

  "I do have to go, but I hope you have a nice date." Bel excused herself politely, joking to Xavier that she wanted June's number if he fucked up with them. 

  Azazel watched her go until Xavier nudged them. "You okay?" 

  "Yeah fine. You guys have your date, you're adorable together. Though I will say that you are WAY out of his league." 

  June nodded in agreement and shrugged, as if to say "what can you do about it". Xavier rolled his eyes, but agreed. 

  "So," Xavier started once Azazel had wandered off. "Where're we going?" 

  They walked side by side with June's arm around his waist with her hand in his front pocket on the opposite side as June explained the plan. 

  "We're gonna take a walk down to this lake, get sandwiches, split a milkshake, then I'm gonna kiss you a lot, then while all that's happening I'm gonna send pics of it all to Cecil and Crow because they like looking at your dumb face." 

  "You don't like looking at my dumb face?" 

  "I didn't say that. Might've thought it though." 

  "I like you a lot," Xavier told him, kissing the corner of their mouth. June confirmed that this was true, backing it up with "who doesn't". She didn't apologize, but Xavier did get covered in lipstick stains, which was good enough.