History is All You Left Me

June laid miserably on their bed, curtains drawn and a bunch of cups on his bedside table just out of her reach. Their fish stared at her from across the room. A depressing Adam Silvera was thrown down beside him, opened to one of the last pages. They always hated sad books, Crow had bought it for her as a bet saying June wouldn’t be able to read it without crying and as much as he wanted to prove Crow wrong they were sobbing into the sleeve of an old hoodie somebody gave him.

June: Damn you.
Baby <3: I’m always right June
June: I wish you weren’t
Baby <3: We all need impossible dreams
                Cecil’s little cousin wants to say hi
June: Didn’t know she had a little cousin 
          You guys can call if you want

  June wiped his face dry and picked up the phone. A little boy belted a greeting from somewhere Crow, not close enough to the phone to talk normally but close enough to be heard. There were loud rustling noises as Enzo tried to hold the phone to his ear without dropping it.

  “Hi,” he repeated happily.

  “Hi.”

  Enzo’s side of the phone went silent for a minute, then Crow greeted them. “He had nothing after hi.”

  June chuckled and sniffled. “He’s adorable.”

  Crow shook his head. “That book really got you, didn’t it.”

  “Shut up and choke.”

  “Love you too,” he groaned sarcastically. She laughed.

  “I really do love you Crow. Even if I’m always stupid tired or drunk when I say it.”

  Even though he always knew this, it was sweet to hear it. He never thought June didn’t love him, even when he did say to choke. “I know.”

  “I don’t get an ‘I love you’ back?” June faked offense. Crow made a face at Misty, who was laughing at him.

  “I love you too, June.”

  Enzo jumped up to his feet. “Me too! Me too! The one on the phone is nice.”

  Cecil put her hand on Enzo’s head gently to stop his bouncing. “Enzo says he loves you too,” Crow informed June. They sniffled and tried to dry her eyes.

  “I can’t handle that right now.”

  “It was nice hearing your voice, love, but he’s taken off once again and my phone’s dying. I love you and don’t kill yourself over the book or the kid or anything else.”

  Crow and June said goodbye and as they did Enzo came running back to say bye to June as well. Crow could hear June start crying again at Enzo’s enthusiasm right before he hung up. Misty raised her eyebrows at Crow.

  “Crow?” she asked, trying not to laugh. “Did you just hang up on your sobbing partner?”

  “It’s not like he’s dying, they’re just a crybaby.”

  Cecil shook her head at him and he threw his arms up defensively. Still clicking her tongue in disappointment, Cecil pointed out that he wouldn’t have hung up if it was Xavier crying. Misty ‘oooooh’ed at the accusation. “I’m not polyamourous but I feel like favouritism isn’t something you wanna do.”

  “I wouldn’t have hung up on him ‘cause Xavier’s helpless.”

  “I’m telling him,” Cecil joked around, pulling Enzo down onto the ground with her.

  “Yeah snitch on me to your boyfriend who I make out with see how that goes for you.”

  Misty held her hand over her mouth, gasping dramatically. They all burst out laughing (except for Enzo, who has no idea what’s going on).