Heavy rain

Xavier finished his conversation with his dad just as he closed the front door behind him. He was on his phone texting June just like they'd asked. His umbrella popped open without resistance and before he could lift it above himself he swore loudly, trying to steady himself before he fell. 

  "Jesus Christ, Crow," he hissed. Crow was lying face up outside his door in the rain, his dark curls dripped water on his face and into small puddles around his head and his clothes were effectively ruined from the mud. Xavier wasn't upset, he was just startled. He had assumed his boyfriend wouldn't be a tripping hazard on his porch, how silly of him. When Crow didn't react at all Xavier softened and gently prodded at his side with his shoe. "Hey are you alright?"

  "Yeah."

  Hanging his bag off his doorknob to keep it safe, Xavier lowered himself onto the ground beside Crow. He could feel the cold, damp concrete on his back when he laid down, but he wasn't too concerned about it. His umbrella was held above them, keeping their faces out of the rain.

  “See, if you weren't having a crisis on my doorstep I might believe you, but here we are. Can I touch you?"

  After a second Crow nodded and pulled his hand out of his pocket. Xavier gently intertwined their fingers, surprised at how quickly Crow tightened his grip. "Angel, you're scaring me a bit."

  "Sorry. Uh. My parents split up. I didn't know where else to go."

  Xavier gaped at him, confused and awkward. "Oh shit. Uh. When did you find out?"

  "This morning. They said that they haven't been in love for a very long time but they didn't want to stress us out or deal with the struggle of custody so they waited until we were all older. No hard feelings, though, they're just friends"

  Xavier slid closer and lifted up their connected hands. "Can I kiss you?" he asked quietly. He could feel the way Crow was gripping to his hand, needing the physical connection, but he hated the thought of making him uncomfortable.

  Crow nodded immediately this time, so Xavier pressed kisses to the back of his hands. One on each knuckle. Crow melted into Xavier, pressing his face into the crook of his neck and moving his hand ever so slightly closer to Xavier. It was not a huge change, but it was a lot considering how Crow was.

  "You're okay," Xavier whispered as he kissed Crow's head a few times.

  "I don't know what I'm supposed to do," he admitted through tears. "I've never had any issue with my parents before. I don't like how it's gonna change things."

  "It probably won't change anything. They waited so it wouldn't change anything for you."

  They nodded in sync, though it was more Xavier matching Crow's nodding. After a few more minutes of talking Crow's sentences began slowing and cutting until he no longer said anything. They got up together and retreated back into Xavier's house, moving silently to his room to change.

  Xavier dug through his drawers until he found a very specific but not very interesting shirt and a pair of jeans he thought would fit Crow. "Can I touch?" Xavier asked again before Crow could go change in a bathroom. He got another nod in response. Xavier pulled Crow closer by his waist and kissed him. It wasn't a very long kiss but that was mostly because both boys were freezing. When Crow got back Xavier was sitting anxiously on his bed in a new sweatshirt.

  "How are you feeling?"

  "Better."

  "That's good. I have a heated blanket if you're cold."

  Crow sat down beside Xavier, who wrapped the blanket around his shoulders. He used a warm towel to dry off Crow's face and hair just so his bed wouldn't get wet. Crow attempted to take the towel himself but Xavier seemed perfectly happy taking care of him. "You're welcome to knock at the door next time."