1: We're All Angelic Here

Start from the beginning

"You're lucky to have me." The girl previously sitting with the guy on the couch says, leaning in the doorway. "I had Ambien when I first got here..."

"Let's not gossip." Janine interrupts. Kali scowls at Janine then turns back to me holding her hand out. Awfully formal around here.

"Kali, as you've been told." She introduces, glancing over at Janine pointedly. She has beautiful brown skin with a stunning crown of shiny black curls.

"Sara." I reply, taking her hand.

"Okay all. Let's start group." Janine calls chipperly, striding out of mine and Kali's room.

A chorus of groaning erupts from outside. "We still have fifteen minutes." A male voice protests.

"Fourteen, actually. Better early then late." Janine replies, motioning for everyone to come along. I follow beside Kali and behind the others, feeling nervous for some reason. Why should I feel embarrassed or uncomfortable around them? They're here too, which means they're just as fucked up and mental as me. Knowing this I'm still hoping to get away with saying nothing and hopefully suddenly gaining the ability to become invisible.

"Alright. Sit, sit." Janine chants, taking a seat at the head of the table in the room she called the cafeteria. I reluctantly take a seat beside her, as that is the only one available to me.

I keep my eyes cast down, intermittently picking at the off-white bandages secured around my wrist, as the insincerely chipper mental health tech Janine explains the first torment she has in store for me.

"Because we have a new arrival, we'll start off this group by going around the table, each of us telling our name and a little something about ourselves." I glance up at her pause, my heart only beating again when I see her manic smile is directed at the guy across the table and not me.

He looks back at her impassively, his dark eyes holding disinterest mixed with distain, evident by the twitch of his shapely lips and clinch of his wide jaw when the tech begins speaking again.

"I'll go first. My name is Janine, I'm a mental health tech. I enjoy reading and a hot cup of coffee." She scans us with that off holster smile, her gaze landing on Mr. Cool Guy again.

His disdainful gaze swivels toward me in that moment, I quickly avert my gaze, returning to picking at my bandages.

"My names Miguel, I'm a psycho and I like warm hugs." He announces cheerfully but mostly sarcastically, clearly mocking the tech.

"Thank you, Miguel." Janine dismisses.

"My name is Thomas, I'm from North Dakota and I like reading too." The broad-shouldered guy, sitting at the end of the table blurts hastily. I glance up seeing a light blush along his cheeks. Same.

There is a pause, prompting me to scan the table nervously. My roommate as of today, Kali's brows are knitted, her almost silver eyes shooting daggers at the tech, who simply bares her teeth in a less then convincing smile.

"Kali." Janine insists, her tone teetering off the edge of hysterically happy.

Thomas nudges Kali gently with his elbow, turning her glare to a pout. "Well, you all know my name. I'm from North Dakota and... I like to have sex." A wicked smile curves her plump lips.

Miguel barks a laugh. Thomas looks a little white. Ambien pretends to gag and giggles.

"Thank you, Kali." Janine disregards.

"My name is Ambien. I miss my cat and I like to dance." The petite blond that was inexplicably stacking books on the floor in the middle of the recreation area when I first arrived chimes, as she gets to her feet, proceeding to twirl around the perimeter of the table.

Janine tuts. "Thank you, Ambien. Please have a seat. You can dance later."

Ambien halts, fixing the tech with a vicious glare as she plops in her seat. A smile finds its way to my lips at the sight. She reminds me of someone. I push that thought aside, puckering my lips to stifle the smile.

A lovely somehow soothing voice emanates from the boy beside me. "My name is Sasuke." I glance over at him; he smiles at me. Heat rises in my cheeks as I return to staring at the table.

"I like skateboarding and I'm from here, Seattle." He continues, looking around the table, pushing his hair back.

I can't help but steal another glance, gawking a little at how pretty he is with his long silky black hair and nearly pore-less complexion. Miguel scoffs loudly, drawing my attention to him before I have time to think better of it. He looks back a mocking smile on his deservedly cocky face. What's this guy's malfunction?

The proceeding silence permeates the room, my ears burning. I am pretty sure you could fry an egg on my face. "I'm Sara." I choke, my throat suddenly very dry. Curse my insecurity.

As I stare at my hands, attempting to moisten my windpipe to proceed with this torturous activity, the buzzing starts. The fucking buzzing. I know I need to calm down. I have figured out that much, but I can't. The sound itself has my heart in my throat.

Nothing good follows the buzzing. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading(: 

If you wont be continuing  and have a moment I would love to know why. All feedback helps me improve as a writer. Thank you.