Chapter 39: Confrontations with Artemis

Começar do início

"Is their camp fully deserted?" Hazel asked.

"I don't know, I reasoned that it would be better to report sooner rather than later," Justin replied.

"That was probably the best idea," Frank reassured. "But I need you to follow the Greeks. We have intelligence that they are likely headed into the Appalachians, We need you to find out where. The Legion is mobilizing and the Senate is prepared to declare war, we just need to know where the traitors to Olympus are hiding."

"Ita, Praetor," Justin said with a salute. "I will move out immediately."

"Good luck," Frank said before the connection was cut."

#      #      #

"So let me get this straight," Artemis said to Percy, who was sitting across from her in her tent. "You've communed with the dead."

"Yes."

"Found out Annabeth is likely the traitor that we have been searching for."

"Yes."

"And now we need to go east so that we can stop her from raising an ancient enemy from Tartarus."

"Basically," Percy confirmed. "I mean, it's not like we haven't done this sort of thing before."

"No, I suppose not," Artemis said. "Go pack gather your sisters, it is time we inform everyone."

"Of course, M'Lady," Percy said as he stood up and walked out.

#      #      #

"How goes the transfer?" Annabeth asked the Iris Message in front of her.

"Everything is proceeding on schedule," Jason replied. "We should be there within the week, and the campers are as firm as ever in their belief that Percy is a traitor."

"Good, keep it that way," Annabeth ordered. "I don't want word of this to get out to the Hunters or the Romans."

"Of course, M'Lady," Jason said. "We will contact you again when we stop for the evening."

"See that you do."

#      #      #

Thalia and Percy fidgeted nervously as they sat in Artemis' tent. It was like they had been called down to the principal's office, except much worse. The night before they had attempted to sneak away with Hannah, Kate, Clara, Atalanta, and Reyna only for the goddess to stop them. Now, they had been summoned here and it felt like the couple was being tortured because they were being forced to wait for their patron. It was especially bad since the Hunt had been traveling east all day and the goddess had not mentioned anything while on the trail. After a couple of minutes Artemis finally entered the tent and sat down across from the demigods. "So," she said, not wasting any time. "What do you have to say for yourselves?"

"It's all my fault," Thalia started. "I wouldn't let Percy go alone and-"

"No, not that."

"Then what else?" Thalia asked before Artemis gave her a rather pointed look. "Oh, that," she whimpered nervously.

"Wait, what are we talking about?" an extremely confused Percy questioned, causing the other two occupants of the tent to roll their eyes.

"The two of you have broken your oaths," Artemis explained. "What do you have to say about that?"

Percy paled and a panicked look crossed his face. "It's all my fault!" he said frantically, desperate to protect Thalia. "I broke my oath and accidentally made Thalia break hers. Please, leave her out of this and only punish me, I'll take her punishment!"

On the inside, Artemis admired what Percy was trying to do. He was trying to protect Thalia even if it meant he suffered, Artemis could respect that. However, on the outside she wore a mask of no emotion whatsoever. "Is that so? Then you would be willing to be made immortal and hunted by my Hunters and I for eternity?"

Percy gulped, that did not sound fun. "If that means that nothing happens to Thalia, then yes."

"No, M'Lady, please don't do this!" Thalia cried out, afraid of what might happen to Percy. "This wouldn't have happened if I had just stayed away from him in the first place, the blame is mine!"

Artemis smirked on the inside as the situation quickly dissolved into the two demigods across from her fighting over who would take the full punishment to save the other. Finally, after nearly a minute Artemis decided to end it. "Enough!" she said firmly, causing Percy and Thalia to immediately go silent. "I have no intention of punishing either of you as of yet."

"Wait, what?" Percy asked dumbly.

"The two of you have passed my test with flying colors," the goddess explained. "I have grown fond of the two of you, and merely wanted to confirm that the both of you truly did care about one another."

"So, we're still in the Hunt?" Thalia asked hesitantly.

"Oh, Hades no!" Artemis exclaimed, causing the couple to slouch in disappointment.

"I guess we'll get going then?" Percy said sadly as he stood up to leave.

"Sit down!" Artemis ordered, causing Percy to immediately drop. "You are no longer Hunters. However, for the time being I will allow the both of you to retain your partial immortality and travel with the Hunt. We will reevaluate the situation after the prophecy has been fulfilled."

Thalia let out a sigh of relief, she hadn't wanted to leave. However, her thoughts were interrupted as Artemis cleared her throat before pointing at Thalia's forehead. Reluctantly, she removed the silver circlet that had been adorning her brow. For a moment Thalia held it in her hand and stared at it, not wanting to give up what felt like part of her identity. Sensing her sadness, Percy rested his hand on her leg to show that he was there for her. Giving him a small smile she dropped her hand to squeeze his before turning back to Artemis. "It was an honor, M'Lady," Thalia said as she handed the goddess the circlet.

"Likewise, Lieutenant."

A/N: So close, yet so far. Guess it takes more than being sneaky to pull a fast one on Artemis! The residents of Camp Half-Blood are also on the move, and I'm sure nothing bad can come of that. . . . 

Also, what should the Fate of Percy and Thalia be? PLEASE VOTE!

A) Guardians of the Hunt (not super original, I know, but could be fun here)

B) Adopted by Artemis

C) Champions of Artemis

Have a superb day!

P.S. Sorry that the chapter is a bit shorter, wasn't really sure what to write