{16} A Part To Play

STORM'S POV

I avoided the dorm room for the rest of the weekend. Tensions were sky high, and to be honest, I didn't particularly want to see Alex or Magnus. At times I could understand where they were coming from. In their position, I would have made the same decision. 

But then I remembered all the hunters and Amazons I had seen die by Orion's hand that day in Puerto Rico and I was livid - at Gaia, who had sent him there, and Orion himself most certainly - at Alex and Magnus? That I wasn't so sure about. 

Nico and Will were apparently less torn than I was, and had been varying degrees of cold toward the two Norse demigods. It was a shame really, because I had been beginning to view them all as friends, and none of them were as fun by themselves. 

By the time Monday rolled around, I was glad for the reprieve. Unfortunately, my joy was short-lived, as Albus decided that then would be a good time to summon me to his office using a Patronus. I complied only to yell at him for doing so. 

The statue guarding his office moved aside as I approached, letting me pass without so much as a peep. I took the stairs two at a time, arriving at the heavy wooden door that marked the entrance to the headmaster's office within moments. Like usual, I didn't bother knocking, and instead barged in, ready to unleash my fury on my childhood friend. 

But instead of coming face-to-face with the Albus Dumbledore I knew, I was confronted by a terribly tired old man leaning back in his chair and cradling his shrivelled hand. 

"Great," I muttered. 

At that, he opened his eyes blearily. 

"What happened?" I demanded. 

"I fear the curse is taking its toll quicker than I had hoped," he admitted. 

"And I'm here because...?" 

"You're one of the only ones who know the true origins of my hand. The other being Severus - ah, here he is." 

As Albus spoke, there was a knock on the door. 

"Come in," he called, his voice somewhat strained.

Severus Snape opened the door rather hurriedly and closed it behind him. He took one look at Albus and sighed. 

"Hello Severus," Albus said pleasantly, "You remember Au-Storm, don't you?" 

He gave me a curt nod before turning back to Albus. 

"What is it you need me for? I have a class to get back to," he said tightly. 

"I wanted to talk with the two of you," Albus began, suddenly looking a lot livelier. 

"This should be good," I muttered, dropping down into the nearest chair. 

Severus followed my lead, although he was more graceful in his actions. Not graceful like a dancer, mind you, more like a bat. 

"Recently we've been dealing with the threat of a primordial god, but until we receive word back from both Camps and the House of Life about a possible alliance with Gaia-"

That prompted a glare from me. 

"- there's not much that can be done on that front. Despite that, we still have Voldemort to defeat. Both of you are aware of the Horcruxes, but other things have to happen to ensure success and in the event that I am indisposed, you both need to be made aware of the part you have to play, or the parts you have to ensure that others play, in some cases." 

"Headmaster," Severus started, looking unnerved. 

Albus held up his hand, silencing the professor. 

"Later, Severus. Storm, the most important thing is that you trust that I know what I'm doing and that you trust Severus." 

"I will do neither of those things with significant context." 

"Unfortunately, I can't give you that."

"No, you won't. I've 'played my part' in your schemes before, and the last one got my sister and nephew killed," I growled. 

Albus quieted for a moment, something akin to guilt flickering across his face. 

"You can't know Storm," he said softly, "It endangers everything." 

"I don't like not knowing what I'm doing." 

"We're in the middle of a war. We have to be objective - I'm banking on you being objective."

I hesitated. He was right, as much as I hated to admit it. In war, you can't let personal feelings dissuade you from doing something. It could get people killed - it could lose the war. 

"Tell me what you need me to do first. In more detail than that." 

"Something is going to happen at the end of this year, and Severus will be blamed for it," Albus began. 

"Will he have actually done it?" 

"If things go well, then yes." 

"Lovely. Not cryptic at all." 

"I need you to know that there's a good reason for it. I need you to know that it happened on my command. I need you to trust him, although perhaps not outwardly." 

"So this is a secret then." 

"Assume everything said here is unless I say otherwise." 

"Noted." 

"Severus, you need to trust Storm in turn. Trust that if she does something she has a reason." 

"Everyone has a reason for doing anything," I pointed out snidely, "That doesn't mean you should do it." 

"A good reason," Albus corrected himself, "The reason you're both here is that you'll be acting as each other's... understudies, I suppose you would say. Severus, you know what you have to do. If for whatever reason you can't, Storm will ensure that things play out as they should." 

"What is it?" I repeated, "You're being more annoying than usual." 

"You can't tell anyone," he warned instead, "Not a soul. And you cannot behave differently around anyone, or stray from the plan, or do anything that may endanger it." 

"Yeah, yeah, big grand plan - what is it? Trust me, I can handle it. I'm a Hunter of Artemis and a witch. Normal was thrown out the door a long time ago."

I would get a laugh if it was something I had dealt with before. He would have made a big fuss over nothing. It was probably something to do with Severus' place as an Order of the Phoenix spy in Voldemort's ranks.

"Harry Potter is a Horcrux." 

Well, I wasn't expecting that

Art by Jean-Batiste Hostache on ArtStation.