{15} A Proposition

NICO'S POV

Much to my surprise, we didn't die on impact. 

The ground seemed to rise up to meet us and cushioned the blow. It knocked the wind out of me, leaving me to lie there for a few long moments before I summoned the willpower to stand.

Will helped me to my feet. Around us, Harry and Alex were still picking themselves off the ground. We were in a large cavern with seemingly no way out. The hole we had fallen down had closed up, leaving no indication of where it had been. 

The cavern was lit by small glowing rocks sprinkled around the ground. I wasn't sure what kind of rocks they were - certainly none that existed in the mortal world. 

"What in Hades name is going on?" Storm muttered, pulling clumps of dirt out of her hair.

I cleared my throat and gave her a sharp look. She rolled her eyes, and otherwise mostly ignored me. 

"Surprisingly, I don't think this has ever happened to me," Magnus commented. 

"What? Don't make a habit out of falling down magical holes?" Storm quipped. 

"Not particularly," Magnus replied. 

A sudden rumble cut through their conversation. It was followed by an echoing thump as the earth on one side of the cavern crumbled away, revealing a woman's face. 

The sight sent chills up my spine. I reached for my weapon, only to realise that I had left it back in the dorm at Hogwarts. Beside me, Will fumbled for his bow, only to realise the same. Storm was the only one of the three of us who was armed, and within moments her bow was aimed directly at the face.

That was the first time I wished that I had her paranoia.

Magnus and Alex seemed clueless to what was going on, but, presumably following our lead, Magnus summoned his weird talking sword and Alex pulled his garotte out from wherever he had stored it. Even Dumbledore and Harry drew their wands. 

But in the face of all that, the face only laughed. 

"Who is that?" Harry hissed. 

"Gaia," I answered grimly, glaring at her. 

"Oh," Magnus realised, "Should've guessed that." 

"You're supposed to be gone," Will said, his tone dark. 

"I am - mostly," Gaia replied almost teasingly, "But I still have some power, especially in places of mythological importance such as this." 

"Then why aren't we dead?" I demanded. 

"Because we have a common enemy." 

"Ouranos."

"Indeed. My ex-husband is just as much a threat to me as he is to you. It's in both of our interests to make sure he doesn't rise to power again." 

"We can do that ourselves, thank you," I said firmly. 

"I thought you would feel that way, son of Hades, but how do your companions feel?" 

"We're not allying ourselves with you," Will agreed. 

I knew he would say something like that, but Gaia was right about everyone else. Most of them hadn't suffered at her hand the way we had, and the one that had was as much of a wild card as she always was. 

"Not happening," Storm declared, her eyes burning with hatred. 

So, the wild card had made her choice. I wasn't going to tell her I was surprised by it. That seemed like a good way to lose a hand.