thirty one

Cassie
~

The way he looks at me when I laugh. It's a moment I never want to forget.

"Goodnight, Luca." I whispered, facing him with my head against the pillow. He turns to face me as well with a soft smile tugging his lips. My eyes become heavy as we lay here, listening to each other breathe. I can feel him stare at me as I close my eyes.

I wish we could stay like this forever.

His fingers tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. I'm tempted to open my eyes again, but I'm hesitant. I also keep thinking about the kiss we shared here. We haven't spoken about it since it happened.

"Goodnight my sweet Cassie."

Daylight suddenly shines through the curtains. I open my eyes slightly before blinking back at Luca. He is sleeping peacefully on his stomach, his head tucked against the pillow. I lean over and plant a kiss on the top of his forehead. His body shifts when my lips touch him, but he falls back asleep.

After looking in his bathroom for an unused toothbrush, which I magically found under his sink, I brush my teeth and tiptoe down the hallway. Anderson is staying with Luca and his grandma now since his mom is in rehab.

The thought of what he must be going through is tough. It makes me think more about my situation also. I will be sending my mom off to get help too. The entire thing is hard. In the living room, I find Anderson, who is passed out with his arm hanging over the couch... snoring.

It's eight in the morning, so I'm trying to be as quiet as I can and not wake anyone up. I make myself at home as I walk into the kitchen. Quietly, I open the fridge and find turkey bacon and a carton of eggs.

As I place the items on the counter, I open the cabinets and become shocked that there's no coffee in this house. Nope. We need coffee.
I take out my phone and order some from Starbucks.

What's their address?

My eyes scan the counters for any bill I can find with the information I need. It doesn't take me long to notice a letter made out to Anderson from Princeton University. Did he get accepted? Is this the college he will be attending?

We haven't talked much about our dreams outside of school before. The thought of him leaving upsets me, even though I'm the one moving soon. He probably feels the same way.

I shake the thought away and type in the address on my app for Starbucks to be delivered. It takes them ten minutes, and luckily everyone is still sleeping. I want the house to smell amazing when they wake up.
Pecan Praline coffee.

Yes, you heard me correctly.

The wonderful smell welcomes me as I take my first sip and start on the breakfast. After a few pieces of bacon are flipped and laid on a paper towel, his grandma slowly enters the kitchen. She is wrapped in a light blue robe and a smile stretches across her face.

"Don't let me stop you."

• • •

Another short one.
Don't forget to vote and comment. ❤️