thirteen

Luca
~

Cassie never told me about what happened last night. My mind went on and on about what it could have been, but it wasn't any of my business. She didn't say a word on the drive to her house. I wanted to open my mouth and say at least something, but nothing popped into my head.

"How did studying go?" My grandma says, welcoming me into the kitchen.

She's been cleaning out the flower beds in the backyard, so her silver hair is up in a clip and her gardening gloves are placed beside the coffee pot.

"It went well."

It ended too quickly.

Something did pop into my head, though. I could have been like, "Cassie isn't really my girlfriend, it's just a deal we made. We're lying to everyone."

But this is what I wanted—right?

"I really like her, Luca," she mumbles, opening the fridge to grab herself a bag of grapes. She's a sucker for them.

"Me too." I sigh, scooping the Cheerios into my mouth.

It's true, I've always liked her... even when she didn't know it.

Even when Marcus didn't want anyone looking her way. Even when the three of us were friends in middle school. It sucks because my grandma never knew about her. I kept her as a secret. The thought of telling someone I had a crush embarrassed me.

I was a stupid kid.

I've just always admired her. Not only because she is one of the most popular girls at Oakley High, but because she's always been a mystery to me. She's the type of person that seems to have everything she wants in life, but deep down—I can tell that everything isn't always the best.

After popping a few grapes into her mouth she says, "Do you want to help me plant some Marigolds? You used to love helping me when you were a boy."

She's right. It seems just like yesterday.
I would spend all day outside with her making new flower beds. Getting me to dig up dirt was a no brainer. I basically lived in the dirt. My mom would bathe me in sunscreen, because I would never come inside.

"Sure."

A soft knock comes from the living room. We both look towards the front door. No one ever comes here. I stood up from the table to see who it was and opened it cautiously. I don't trust anyone, especially around my grandma. Big hazel eyes greet me, and a small smile pulls at her light pink lips.

It was Cassie.

"Hi," she says softly.

Her curls lay behind her back as she tucks her hair behind her ear. She started to bite the corner of her lip and I swallowed hard.

"Hey."

She starts to rock on the tips of her toes, back and forth, contemplating on what to say next. I try hard to not stare at her outfit. She is dressed in dark skinny jeans with an Oakley hoodie. She could make a trash bag look hot.

"I'm sorry about how I left last night," she blurted out, stopping the rocking on my concrete sidewalk. "My mom is just, she's uh, very sick."

She's sick?

Her words medical bills come rushing back to me.

"It's fine, you don't have to explain. I'm sorry to hear that about her."

I let my grandma know it's Cassie before stepping out and closing the door.

"There's a party tonight and I think you should come with me."

I clear my throat, almost choking on my own spit. "A party?"

She smirked. "It's part of the deal."

Another thing I've never been to, was a party and I never planned on it either. Since we are dating, I guess it's a 'first time for everything'. I have to play the part.

"Okay, Harlow." I can't believe I gave in. "I'll go but only if Anderson comes."

"I'll call him right now."

She steps beside me and opens the front door.

"Also, cute pajamas."

I look down and laugh. Super Mario cotton pants. I follow behind her and close the door. Grandma pulls her into a hug, and they catch up from yesterday. It's weird seeing Cassie in my house, but I'm starting to enjoy it.
I could get used to this.

"Anderson," she says into my cell phone. "Party tonight, we're coming to get you."

"Excuse me?" he yells back, chuckling. "I'm going to a what?"

"You heard me, see ya in ten."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Who's house is this?" Anderson calls out from the backseat. He is wearing his normal attire. Dark blue jeans, a white hoodie, and a Red Sox baseball cap.

I felt the same when I saw Cassie's house for the first time yesterday.

It's a huge two-story white house with green shutters, a pool in the backyard with a deck wrapped around it, and even a small barn sitting off to the side.

"Mine." Cassie murmurs, putting her car in park.

"Oh, so you rich rich?"

"Anderson." I scold like a child.

She giggled. "No, I'm not. We used to be, yes, but not anymore," her voice is low. "We're actually moving pretty soon."

The way the mumbled moving like it was no big deal startled me. Surely she's not leaving right after graduation? The thought of her not being in Oakley makes my palm sweaty. I rub them against my jeans.

My eyes widened before glancing at her. "Moving?"

I must have heard her wrong.

Cassie eyes me and slowly nods. It's almost like she's afraid to mention it. "I'm going to college in Los Angeles."

Los Angeles? That's almost six hours away.

I stare out of the passenger window for a minute, watching our classmates run around her property like wild animals. Then, I suddenly remember that her mom usually stays home to rest or because, now that I know, she's sick.

"Where are your parents tonight?"

Cassie looks at me unexpectedly while opening her side door. "Out of town."

Anderson and I followed suit out of her car.
Loud music fills our ears when we make it up the steps to her front porch. Whoever has control of the playlist has horrible taste. The way the singer is screaming nearly burst my eardrums. Cassie scrunches up her nose in disgust when the chorus gets even louder.
Jesus.

"I've got to turn this crap off."
Cassie yells before walking away from us.

Anderson shakes his head. "I can't even hear myself think."

"Me either."

After several seconds, the music is changed to Love Again by New Hope Club. I'm surprised she even knows this song. I feel like nobody in this town has good taste in music.

I keep my hands in the pockets of my jeans when Cassie walks up to us.

"Drink?"

• • •

Don't forget to vote and comment. ❤️