five

Luca
~

"What was that about?"

Shit.

I pause before heading toward the other direction, slowly brushing it off.

"Huh? Oh, nothing. Mrs. Lopez had us partner up for an assignment."

He draws his eyebrows together, then nods.
Good—he dropped the subject.

"Any word on your truck?" I ask, squeezing through the small crowd that forms in the hallway.

"A few more days and it will be good to go. You still don't mind bringing me home until then?"

I shake my head. "Of course not."

If only you lived somewhere else, I would be completely fine dropping you off home.

"How's your mom doing, by the way?"

The pupils in his eyes dilated a little at the mention of her. They've had a rough couple years, and I can understand why he feels uneasy about it. He runs a hand through his ashy-blonde hair.

"She's been better," he says calmly.

We stand up against the wall as our next class empties out of the classroom. "Still sober?"

He clenched his jaw. It's always a hard conversation. Anderson is open to me about her struggles, but I know it's still difficult for him to talk about.

"For now," his voice is low. I can tell he regretted those words. "I didn't mean it like that."

I place my hand on his back. "I understand, man."

His body loosens up a bit as we make our way into the class to find our desks. When we sit down, I think more about his mother and how quick someone's life can change because of addiction.

The diner has been so slow tonight. Every time I lean against the counter, my palm always slips out from under my cheek—with the little sleep I got this night. The door suddenly chimes, and I stand up on my feet, as I glance near the door I spot Cassie and Sydney step inside. They are both in maroon spirit shirts and tiny black shorts. I think they just got done with cheerleading practice.

It's hard to not stare at Cassie the way she walks around the bar and slides into a dark red booth. Sydney sits opposite her, and they both start to look at a menu, laughing about something on Cassie's phone.

Curiosity starts to silently kill me.

With my notepad and pen in my hand, I stride toward them. I can hear my heartbeat echo through my ears. "What can I get the two of you?"

Sydney smirked. "No, Luca. Don't you mean "Qué les puedo dar a ustedes dos?"

I'm impressed by her Spanish. Even Cassie raises an eyebrow. I start to speak when she cuts me off again. "I'll have chili fries and a small vanilla shake."

"Oh yes, I'll have the same thing." Cassie agrees and smiles at me.

I don't think she has ever smiled at me before. Maybe when we were kids in middle school, but not as teenagers. I find my eyes slowly drifting back to the notepad as if I'm writing down their order, but I actually just scribble a bit, then write down She Smiled At Me.

Faking Us ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें