twenty one

Luca
~

"I can't believe he punched you," Anderson laughs. "I wish I could have been the one to witness that."

"Well, Cassie sure did. Everyone at the party couldn't believe it," I tell him as I grab my lunch. He follows me over to our table. "I couldn't help myself though."

He nods. "He is a dick just like his dad, so it's not like you lied or anything."

We both laugh and shove fries into our mouths. "Exactly."

"So, how was the night with your mom?"

"It was good. I helped her around the house, and we ordered a pizza."

I take a sip of my water. "That's good man, I'm happy to hear that."

In the corner of my eye, I see Sydney walk through the lunch line and grab her tray as she follows. I tense up at the sight of her and quickly look down.

I've got to tell Anderson.

"Don't hate me."

He looks up from dipping his fry into ketchup. "What?"

"Sydney lied to you about a date, there was never a date to begin with, and she told me about it, so I kept it a secret because she asked me to. I'm the worst friend... horrible really—"

"Woah, calm down," he chuckles. "I already know."

I draw my brows together. "You do?"

"Yes, she told me everything."

A deep breath escapes my mouth. "Oh good."

He shakes his head. "Why would you think you were a horrible friend?"

"Because I kept that from you. I watched you beat yourself up about it, thinking something was wrong with you, when all I had to do was tell you she lied because she likes you."

A weird expression appears on his face. "Well, when you put it that way—"

"Really?"

"I'm kidding," he laughs even louder this time.
"We're good and so are me and Sydney, she asked me to the Prom this time."

I noticed Sydney leaving the lunch line with her tray in both hands and sitting down beside a group of dance liners. As she opens her water bottle her eyes fall on me and a small smile welcomes her ivory face. I give her one back before finishing my burger and fries.

"Where's your girlfriend?" He insinuates girlfriend while leaning back into his chair.

"I honestly don't know."

My eyes wander around the cafeteria in hopes I can spot her, but once I looked around the building and almost took my eyes away, I instantly saw her talking to Marcus by the restrooms.

My body freezes.
My heart rate goes up.
What could she be talking to him about?

"Don't go all crazy about it," Anderson chimes in. "I'm sure it's nothing."

He's right, it's probably nothing, but that doesn't stop me from questioning what could be going on.

Are they getting back together?
Surely not.

This jealousy can be complete bullshit.
I don't want to be jealous, but with him involved I can't help it. Instead of brushing it off, I ignore Anderson like I shouldn't. I quickly stand up from the table and walk toward them to stand beside her.

"Everything okay?"

She nods. "Yes, everything is fine."

Marcus shoves his hands into his pockets while Cassie clutches her arms across her chest.

"Okay, something's going on."

She doesn't say anything else, instead she looks back at him hoping he will say something. Marcus eventually clears the tension between us all. "I'm sorry."

What?

"Excuse me?"

Cassie looks back over at me. "I told him to apologize."

"You're kidding."

"Look Luca. I really am sorry for being such a—"

"A dick?"

"Luca!" She swats my arm.

"I'm only stating facts." I say defenselessly, rubbing my arm from the sting she planted.

He shakes his head. "Yes, actually, you're right. I have been for a very long time and I'm over it." I eye him cautiously, debating on if he's telling the truth or not.

"I just hope we can start over and be friends like we used to be."

"Please, Luca. I don't want the drama anymore," she says to me softly so only I could hear.

I take a deep breath before sighing like I've been defeated.

"The things I do for you Cassie Harlow."

"I owe you, Richards," she smiles.

"What the hell was that?" Anderson says as I sit back down at the table.

"Something I never thought would honestly actually happen."

Cassie walks back over to our table to sit down beside me. She sighs before opening her water bottle.

"What's going on?" Anderson questions, noticing that something weird is happening.

"Cassie made him.... apologize."

He belts into full-blown laughter. "You've got to be kidding me."

I raise both hands. "That's what I said."

Cassie tucks her hair behind her ears as she loads ketchup on her fries. "He needed to. I'm sick of how he treats you."

"Treats me?" I nudged her with my elbow.

"You care about me?"

Her eyes send daggers through mine, almost telling me to brush it off.

"I just don't like him being such a—"

"Dick." Anderson finishes.

"I think we've come to the conclusion that Marcus is indeed a dick."

• • •

These three 🤭
Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️