𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐌𝐄 - mai

word count // 850
pov // 3rd
warning(s) // angst, cursing, death
request by thaliagrace459

MY GOD i made you wait so long for this just for 850 words?!  i'm actually the worst

if you want another imagine that's happier, let me know!

(Y/N/N) is your nickname

————

"Mai!" The girl ran up, jumping on her back and knocked both to the ground. While she was laughing, Mai was pouting. She had been watching Azula and Ty Lee play-fight before she jumped on her.

"Did you have to do that?" Mai pushed her off, tightening her lips as to keep a smile from appearing. Her hair had been messed up from the fall and her robes were dishevelled.  "You can't keep doing that, (Y/N)."

"But you looked sad!  I can't keep you looking sad!"

"You sound stupid when you talk." Azula rolled her eyes and sat down next to the girls, pulling Ty Lee down with her. The four girls sat around the tree, quietly enjoying the flowing fountain and the slight breeze of the wind.  (Y/N) leaned against Mai and went to hold her hand when Mai pulled back, ignoring (Y/N)'s hurt expression.

————

(Y/N) glared over that the guards.  They stumbled over their feet and ran away from the non-bender.  She smirked heavily and attacked one closest, quickly taking him down and moving to the next.  The audience she held cheered as she took down almost every guard.

Only one left.  She poised for a fight—seeing as this was the final and largest man of the group—and winked before rushing blade-first into the fight.  "Do I strike to kill?!"  When she yelled to the audience, they cheered in agreement and she grinned.

It was quick.  She found the soft spot in his armor and injured him; he fell and she kicked his helmet off.  His eyes held fear while his cheeks stained with tears.  He begged for his life and (Y/N) shrugged, deciding to make it easy for him.

As the audience cheered, (Y/N)'s head cleared and she stared at the dead body in front of her.  She dropped her blade and threw her hands to her mouth, tears now freely flowing down her face.  She felt burly hands take hold of her and lead her away, not caring that her feet dragged behind her as they walked.

"I killed him."

"You did."  (Y/N) looked up and made eye contact with a ravenette.  She hadn't seen the girl in years—if it was that long, she really didn't know—and it felt awful.  She had just murdered someone.  "It was brutal, honestly.  Kind of boring, though—you weren't very theatrical."

"Why would I kill someone theatrically?  God, you're sounding like Azula."  When she didn't answer, (Y/N) shook the man off of her and went to pour herself tea.  The dark-haired girl watched her with no expression.

"Why are you here, Mai?"

"I wanted to speak with you—"

"Bullshit."  She went to reach for her blade but it was missing from her sheath.  I dropped it.  "You never wanted to speak with me when everyone was still together, and now that Azula went absolutely batshit and Ty Lee had the brian to run away, you want to speak.  A little too fucking late, Mai."

Mai sighed and approached (Y/N), taking her hands and bringing them close to her chest.  "That was different back then, I guess.  I just wanted to see how you were, I didn't ask for a scolding."

(Y/N) felt her stomach grow light when Mai held her hands, but she pulled away from the girl and nearly shoved her.  "You don't get to do that!  Do you know for how many years I wanted to do that?!  A little fucking gesture that shows that you're at least my friend!  You can't do that to me, Mai!"

"And why not?!"  Mai's voice was rising, but it didn't faze (Y/N).

"Because I wanted you!  I wanted you as my friend, as my fucking girl, Mai!  I wanted to hug you whenever I wanted—I wanted to kiss you, but she pushed!  And look at where we fucking are now!  The girls are broken up, Sozin knows how they're doing!  I haven't seen any of you guys in almost five years!"

"That's a lie!"

"Is it?!  You guys stuck together a little bit longer, right?!  Not me!  I got pushed to the side and look at where I am!  I murdered a man with my own blade, with these fucking hands!  Azula had firebending for an excuse, and she's fucking psycho for starters!  That man was in front of me and begging for me to save his life!  He begged..."  At this point, tears were again streaming down (Y/N)'s face.  Her chest felt as if it was collapsing in.

"(Y/N/N)."  That made (Y/N) almost scream.  She hadn't heard that little name in years, and it only made her chest feel even tighter.

"Not me.  I'm not that little girl.  Neither are you.  Get out."

After maybe five minutes, Mai had left.  (Y/N) was sat, chest feeling broken in half—stomach was in knots and her throat was closed and burning.  Her head was between her knees, shaking from side to side.

"Not me."