𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐘 - sokka

word count // 1,563
pov // 3rd
this was not meant to be this sad but editing = angst ig 🤷‍♀️

————

"Sokka!"  A small girl was running to the boy, tripping over her too-big boots and long coat. The boy turned and smiled, hugging the girl once she made it to him. "(Y/N)!"

"Happy birthday, silly! You're finally ten!" She smiled at him, one of her bottom teeth missing. Sokka noticed that it was the tooth that was loose the other day, and he smiled. "You lost your tooth!"

"It bled, a lot! It doesn't hurt anymore, though. My poppa helped me get it out!" She pointed to the slightly-raw gum, the new tooth already poking out a bit. The boy grimaced a bit, but shook it off when he saw his little sister running up to them. "Oh, no! Lady (Y/N), run before the evil Katara captures you!"

"Ah, save me, Prince Sokka!"

"Guys, don't be mean or I'll tell Dad!" Katara crossed her arms and pouted, her hair pieces falling over her eyes.  (Y/N) giggled and ran over, pulling her into a tight hug and kissing her cheek.  "You know you're the best, Tara!  And you are the most wonderful prince, Sokka!"

(Y/N) kissed Sokka on the cheek as well after releasing Katara and running back to the boy.  The kiss left the boy red in the face as the small girl ran away, waving and laughing as she ran to her calling father.

————

"I got up to thirty-three! What about you, silly?" She smiled at her friend, waiting eagerly for his response.

"I got thirty-four."

"No you didn't, liar! You're only saying that because I got thirty-three! There aren't that many ice cubes in the water!"

"Sure there is, I did get thirty-four."

"Stop lying, silly!"

————

"Happy birthday, silly."  She gave him a small cake, one that looked almost perfect with the exception of the brown color.  Sokka smiled though and hugged his friend, holding her head to his shoulder.  He knew that it made her feel better, and she did not look good.  "Thank you, Lady (Y/N)."

A muffled cry-laugh came from the girl, her arms wrapping tightly around the skinny boy.  "I don't know what to do, Sokka.  Poppa left and Momma is still sick."

"Are you sure you feel fine?"

"Of course, silly.  I'm fine."  Though her voice gave it away, she looked up and smiled widely.  Sokka smiled softly before kissing her forehead and resting his chin on her head.  "You'll be fine, I know it."

"I know I will, silly."  (Y/N) walked out of his tent, waving and walking to the medical tent.  Katara smiled at the girl when they crossed paths, and she entered the tent to see her brother saddened and staring at a small cake.  "Did she make it for you?"

"She looks bad, Katara.  I don't think she's telling me everything."  He wasn't listening to her, he was staring at the cake and blinded by his worried thoughts.  When a hand landed on his shoulder, he jumped and turned with his boomerang prepped.  Katara backed away with her hands up before puling her brother into a hug.  "Gran-Gran can help her, I'll make sure of it."

"Thank you, Katara."

————

"He left.  He really left."

"I am so sorry, Sokka."  (Y/N), clad in her coat and hair pulled away from her face, frowned with teary eyes at her friend.  Sokka stared at her eyes, then her cheeks, then her lips, then her neck.  She was paler than before, her face was sunken, and she looked broken.  He felt like he would lose her—he knew he would.