A Test

Chapter Fifteen: A Test

The old forest of Reline was quiet. Ancient trees with gnarled roots and wizened trunks darkened our path, while a low fog hung before us. Legion soldiers who had crept to the forest in small numbers as to not alert the people of Halirimal that we were here, waited in that shrouded cover.

There was no light in the forest. No warmth of green that usually blanketed the sprawling forests that I had known. Even the woods in Dratlan at winter had a certain beauty – bare branches that were heavy with snow. Animals prowling with heavy winter coats.

No, Reline was different. Reline forest was dark and old and it wanted us to know that. I felt its age as I approached, sitting straighter in my saddle as I scanned the line of old trees, suddenly on edge.

Intuition told me to keep still. Years of training forced me to keep moving forward.

Legion soldiers greeted us as we rode in on our horses.  Magin soldiers shrouded our mounts and I watched them, secretly proud of the welts on their hands and the dirt under their nails. Soldiers.

That's what they were. People who would survive.

Kohen was silent as I gathered the soldiers together, my voice quiet as I relayed my instructions. We would have to be quiet and careful. Slaves were nothing to the Saviors. Just bags of flesh to be bartered, but I wanted as many rescued alive as I could.

We made our way down into the great tunnels under Reline forest. Silence echoed in the darkness and with the aid of torchlight, I could see the spindly ends of roots binding the roof of the tunnel together as we descended. Matthaeus and his spies stalked in the darkness easily, needing no torchlight to guide them.

I heard nothing in the darkness, save for the breathing of Legion soldiers and the quick thundering of my heart. Kohen walked a beat ahead of me.

Was the Branded One here?

If he was, I was woefully unprepared for such a fight. Then again, when was I ever prepared at all? A warning sounded from ahead as Matthaeus appeared in the reach of fire-light, his eyes flashing like a cat's in the night.

Wordlessly, he pointed to the ground. Holes were cut into the pathway, wide enough for a body to fit through. I could see another tunnel below it. Then, tiny animal bones scattered amongst the dirt.

We pressed onward, following Kohen and the vampires as they led us through the dark tunnels. A whisper of something heavy moving sounded in the distance. One of Kohen's ears began to turn, twisting seconds before his eyes followed it.

One of the vampire twins Adrienne stopped and pressed a hand against the wall. "Matthaeus, come look at this."

Click.

Click.

"What is it?" I asked quietly, skirting around a large hole in the ground. The vampire raised her dark eyes to me, holding out her hand. It was sticky with webbing.

"Spiders?" Her twin peered at it.

Click.

Something heavy was moving towards us.

Kohen's ears slicked back.

Click.

I began to slide the Alelang blade from its hold.

Click.

The darkness ahead provided no answers. Even my eyesight could not cut through it.