Chapter 4: I am sorry

Rayshawn's pov:

As soon I received that call, Steven and I immediately left for Boston dropping Sharon on the way to her house even though she resisted. But we knew that she was not in a condition to travel.

Steven has been driving as he feared that I might cause an accident.

My entire body was shaking with fear.I just wanted to see her. I wanted to see my love. My future wife.

I just talked to her an hour ago. She was alright then. What must have happened?

I just want her to be alright. I was having flashes of the day she left. She didn't want to go. She didn't want to go away from me. But I encouraged her.

Damnit.

Please God, save her. Don't let anything happen to her. I can't live without her.

After a few hours which felt like days, we reached the hospital. I asked for Tracy Sanders. The receptionist informed us that she was undergoing an operation on the second floor and called the doctor to ask permission for our visit.

Steven stayed to settle the bills while I rushed up the stairs towards the operation theatre.

Bamm...

On my way, I collided with someone who was climbing down. In a hurry, I had hit her stomach with my elbow. She winced in pain.

Shit...

She lost balance but I caught her by her hand. Her scarf which she wore on her hand got entangled with my watch.

"I am sorry Ma'am." I apologized looking at her but I couldn't see her face. She was standing two steps below and facing away from me. But I could hear her sniffling.

She must have got really hurt. You are stupid Ray.

"Are you okay?" I ask. She nods and unties her scarf from her hand and runs down crying without saying a word.

I didn't have time to stop her. I shoved her scarf in my pocket and rushed to Tracy.

We waited for half an hour outside the operation theatre.

Then the doctor came out.

I shot up from my seat. "How is she doctor? She's fine right? Can I see her?"

The doctor did not say anything and looked down.

"Say something Doctor." Steven interjected.

"I am sorry."

No...

My heart sank. I must have heard incorrectly.

"What did you say?"

"She had a major injury in her head. We couldn't save her"

My whole body went numb hearing his words. "You are lying. It's not possible. She can't leave me." I say charging towards the doctor.

I grabbed his collar.

"You are a doctor. Do something. Anything. Bring her back." I say angrily.

Steven somehow pulled me away from him and the doctor coughed.

"Listen Mr. Rayshawn, this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated here. I am very sorry for your loss but we are not God. We did whatever we could but her condition was really bad. It was impossible to save her. Excuse me now."

And the doctor went away from our sight. I sank down on the chair with tears flowing down my eyes and my body shivering. Steven sat down next to me, he didn't say anything. He too lost his sister.

The nurse came and guided us to see Tracy.

I took small steps dreading to see her.

I slowly removed the white sheet from her face to discover that her face was disfigured and unidentifiable.

"How are you sure that it's Tracy Sanders?" I asked the nurse in search of that one ray of hope that my Tracy is still alive.

"We found these things with her" The nurse said handing us over all the belongings of Tracy as proof. Her wallet which had her ID, her earrings, her mobile phone, her bracelet.....

The bracelet which I gave her was stained in blood. A shiver ran down my spine.

This was it.

I lost her.

I lost my love, my life, my whole world.

I say down next to her bed holding her hand in mine. I kissed her hand. "Tracy, why did you leave me? I will not be able to survive without you. How can you be so selfish?"

"I hate myself for letting you go away. I am sorry. Don't punish me like this." I say crying hysterically. My tears were flowing down through our hands and staining the sheets.

I kiss her forehead." I love you Tracy. I love you so damn much, it hurts." I hiccup while saying.

I don't know for how long I kept sitting there holding her hand. I was feeling a pain in my chest.

I heard the sheriff who might be handling the case explaining Steven about the accident.

"It was a hit and run case. Someone found her injured body lying on the road and brought her to the hospital but we don't know their name. We'll try our best to find the culprit."

I hear footsteps going out of the room. I think it was the sheriff.

I heard Steven's voice behind me "I will not leave that person. I am going to find out who did this to my baby sister. I am going to take revenge from that person. I'll make sure that he or she suffers for their deeds..."

My mind couldn't register what he was saying further as I started hearing a buzzing sound in my ear and my vision began to fade. My hold on Tracy hand got loose and soon I was engulfed with...

Darkness..