Mildred hummed at Eleanor's words and her heart soared. She had been praying for Professor Curtis to allow God to change his heart, and while it was such a small change, she was still grateful that God cared.

"Eleanor, keep your heart open to change. God may have truly touched his heart, don't let your sinful ways keep you from seeing God do work right in front of you," Mildred held Eleanor's hand and squeezed it.

Eleanor's heart clenched at her mother's words. She didn't want to discount God's work, but it seemed unbelievable for Professor Curtis to change. "I can only say that I'll try," She said and sighed. "I'm going to get my costume, then I'm heading over to Frannie's,"

Mildred only nodded in acknowledgment and smiled.

-

"It's been better, but today he seemed strange. He told me good morning, and he told me to be safe. Frannie, I don't know what to make of his new behavior, but being friendly with a white man sounds dangerous. He could change his mind in a second and have the Klan at my front door." Eleanor confessed honestly as Francesca poured coffee into her mug.

She was spending time with Francesca before they went to the costume party at Jazzy's. They didn't have much time to spend with each other one on one, so they were taking advantage of getting dressed together.

"Just wait it out, Eleanor. God could be changing his heart right in front of your eyes, but your hesitation is keeping you from noticing it. I urge you to see more than his color next time you see him." Francesca's tone was soft and kind. She only wanted God's creation to get along.

She knew a miscegenated couple and they were just as happy as she was with Harold.

"We'll see. I can say that he's been a lot easier on me, and he gave me an extension on the new assignment he gave me," Eleanor said while trying to possibly see the brighter side of her situation with Professor Curtis.

Francesca smiled and nodded her head lightly. "That's amazing, you may not see it that way, but it is. Just try to keep an open heart in all of this. Maybe by the end of your schooling, you may be friends."

Eleanor laughed and bit her bottom lip. "You sound like my mother. Just as I told her, I will try. Now, let's go get ready," She pulled Francesca up from the couch and they went to the back room.

-

"You look boop-tiful!" Jackie exclaimed when she saw Eleanor's costume.

Eleanor giggled at the wordplay, then she blew a kiss at her. "Thanks, pretty lady! Where's the Scarecrow?" She asked teasingly.

Jackie was dressed as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. "He ran away to get some pop," She winked and asked the waiter for water.

Michael, who was seated on the other side of the room, was staring at Eleanor and it made her uncomfortable. He never listened to her when she told him that she wasn't interested.

"Let's dance!" Eleanor yelled over the music, trying to get out of Michael's line of vision, and Jackie nodded.

Time went by faster than Eleanor liked, and soon it was time for her to get home to start working on her analysis.

"I had a great time, but it's getting a little late. I've got to get home to work on my homework," Eleanor hugged all of her friends goodbye. "Timmy, could you walk me to my car?" She asked and he nodded.

"You drive safely," Timmy smiled and tapped the roof of her father's car.

Eleanor smiled back and nodded. "Will do, friend. Goodnight," She waved and locked her doors.

After watching Timmy walk back into Jazzy's safely, Eleanor sat in her father's car and mentally prepared herself for the analysis.

She enjoyed everything that English Literature had to offer, but sometimes she just wanted a little break from school.

"Only a few more months and I'm done!" She whispered to encourage herself. Five years of college grew tiring, but her end goal was near.

'tap, tap'

A sound came from her window which made her jump. Turning around, she saw that it was only Michael.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She yelled after rolling the window down.

Michael only smiled and rested his hands on the windowsill. "I've been wanting to ask you this, and it seems like the perfect time," He started with a cocky look in his eyes that made Eleanor want to roll her windows back up. "Everyone can tell that we would be perfect together, go out with me?" He asked.

Eleanor took a deep breath and tried to find a nice way to reject him. "Michael, I'm not interested in dating you. My answer is no, I only see you as a brother." She wasn't the kind of person to intentionally hurt someone, but she had to be honest with him.

Michael looked at Eleanor with anger in his eyes. "You stuck up picaninny!" He exclaimed angrily.

Eleanor flinched at the insult and shook her head. "Michael, get your hands off of my car." She said calmly.

Michael only shook his head and glared at her. "You should just accept me. No other man in his right mind will want a smart-mouthed cow like you." He spat and walked away.

Eleanor sat in the car for a little while longer and thought about what Michael said.

She knew that he only said that because he was upset, but for some reason, she couldn't help but believe what he said was true.

Whether he was right or not, Eleanor still wanted to believe that God had someone special just for her. Someone who would cherish her and treat her right.

Shaking her head, Eleanor brushed away the thoughts of not being chosen, and she drove home.

She had an assignment to work on.

-

Authors Note

Michael is trash. In this house, we hate the fictional character called Michael.

So, Professor Curtis is changing! Woah!

Eleanor isn't about that life though. She's cautious, as she should be.

How are y'all feeling at this point? I want to know? Tell me your suspicions!

I don't have much to say, only because I don't want to spoil anything or rant about Michael!

Bye!