Chapter Twenty-Three

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: February 6th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

Eleanor walked into the classroom and hugged Dale. "Morning," She beamed and he kissed her cheek.

"Good morning, my beautiful fiancée." Dale loved Eleanor's face. It was perfect. He kissed her once more and let her go. He was in love with his smartest student.

Eleanor hummed and walked to her desk. She took a seat and pulled out her notebook and pens. She was always prepared and attentive during class, now more than before. She loved the sound of Dale's voice.

A few minutes passed and the students were now coming into the room.

"Hi, I'm Gary."

Eleanor looked up from her notebook and saw a white guy sitting at the desk next to her. No one ever sat next to her.

"Were you talking to me?" She asked puzzled.

Gary nodded and smiled at her. "Yes, ma'am. What's your name?"

"Oh, I'm Eleanor." She told him and looked back down at her notebook. The whole idea of a white man who wasn't Dale talking to her was a little strange, but he seemed nice.

Dale wanted to grab that boy and teach him a lesson for talking to his woman. She was wearing his engagement ring, which meant that she was engaged.

Gary placed his notebook onto the desk and turned to Eleanor. "That's a beautiful name. Eleanor, classy and elegant." He said kindly.

Maybe he wasn't bad. "Thank you, Gary." She answered and hoped that he would be quiet. He was nice, but she didn't want to chat.

"Is this your first semester taking this class?" He asked.

Eleanor shook her head. "It's my second. This is the last class I have to complete before graduating," She explained.

Gary oohed and wiggled his eyebrows. "Oh, wow. Congrats, Eleanor."

Dale slammed his binder onto his desk and huffed. That boy was making eyes at his woman. "Turn your attention to the board, class has started." He called out and watched the stupid pest turn his body towards the board, but his eyes stayed on Eleanor.

How he was going to keep from getting pissed off was beyond him at this point.

As Dale taught, Eleanor tried ignoring the feeling of Gary's stare. He had yet to write anything down on his paper, which was going to hurt him in the long run.

"Class is dismissed, I want an analysis of A Midsummer Night's Dream on my desk by Friday." By the grace of God alone, Dale made it through the entire class without going up to that idiot boy.

He watched as everyone left, but surprise surprise, Gary lingered at Eleanor's desk.

"I need to brush up on everything. Would you like to study with me in the library?" Gary asked Eleanor.

She put away her notebook and pens. "No thank you," She declined politely and made her way down the stairs.

"Wait, how about another day?" Gary's persistence made her stop walking. She was going to let him down easily.

"I don't want to, Gary." She said honestly and he huffed.

Eleanor didn't like how persistent he was.

"That's okay. I won't quit asking until you say yes." Gary shrugged and winked at her.

Eleanor resisted the urge to roll her eyes and walked down the stairs.